Folksy Ltd

What are they called (wax cord melter)

(Grimm Exhibition) #1

Im looking into making necklaces out of the waxed cord you can get and see that I need a hand held thingy which has a heated bit at one end and it melts the cord. Any ideas what its called?

(Sasha Garrett) #2

Do you mean one of these?

(Grimm Exhibition) #3

Yes thank you! I google zapper but all that came up were those fly zapper thingies. Thansk again.

(Grimm Exhibition) #4

OK, so Ive bought lots of cord, Im happy with melting it by using a match at the mo but Im really after the cord.
Ive noticed lots of different types, some melt a bit, others melt in a way that makes me think its actually sealing the cord.
That’s what Im after. I bought some at a local John Lewis but its not exactly local or cheap. My local craft shop doesn’t sell the really melty stuff.
My question is, do any of you know where I can get the very shiny/melty cord from in various colours.

(Sasha Garrett) #5

I think you want the satin cord that these guys sell
they also sell the thread zapper melter thingy and I’ve seen them demonstrate that on this and it looked like it melted well but I have personally never tried it. Or you could try the rattail cord from this I have melted with a match but be prepared to buy a lot in one go (50m per spool)

(Grimm Exhibition) #6

Thanks, il take a look.
Isnt it great knowing helpful crafty people.

(Grimm Exhibition) #7

Just had to share this.
I was so happy that Ripper Street was back last night, I was watching the gorgeous Jackson, semi clad in a saucy scene and realised all I could notice was his cord necklace when we saw the back of his head, and how it was made, which solved the fastening dilemma Ive had for ages!!!

It uses less cord but I still need to melt the end.

(cindyheadley) #8

I use a Chinese sliding button knot with satin rat tail cord, and a lighter to seal the ends.

The is a good instruction video here for those that are interested