What kind of cord do I need?

HI folks, Im looking into making macramé necklaces to go with some pendants Im making. Ive bought some cord it the past thinking it will all work the same, but it doesnt.
I macramé a fastening, then to seal the ends I burn them and it melts the macramé closed, but not all cord Ive bought burns well, some not at all it just leaves charred mess.
How do I find out what the correct cord is that I nee. I know it as waxed cord, is that the right thing or is there something else?
Pics of fastening are here.

You can use a huge range of cords for macramé, I usually stick to waxed cord or hemp though. Could it be worth trying to find something called a thread zapper? I’ve never used one myself as I tend to cut the cord and use a dab of glue to seal the end but I’ve heard they are pretty good for cutting out the charring that your looking to cut down on

If you want to melt it ideally you need to be using a synthetic cord (slinky rattail, para cord or satin cord) as cotton or hemp based cords tend to just burn/ smolder. When I’ve used cotton or silk cords I use a small dob of glue or clear nail polish to seal the ends and stop fraying.
Hope thats helpful.
Sasha

1 Like

Sasha is right-you can use most types of cord for macrame (the thicker the better) but if you want to melt the ends it must be 100% synthetic. If you don’t have glue, clear nail varnish works well to bind the ends of non-synthetic cord like hemp and it has the advantage that it doesn’t yellow with time.

Love Sam x