What is an aceo? (art)

what is an aceo?
lots of people ask me about my paintings. They are aceos…which stands for Art Cards, Editions and originals. These are tiny paintings that measure just 2.5" x 3.5"…the size of a football or trading card and they are highly collectable. Art is a good investment for the future. (especially original artwork). That said, people just cannot afford to always buy large artworks, nor do they have the space on their walls for them. So people are now collecting aceos. You might ask…“what do I do with them?”…well, people display them in photo albums and build up large collections as their investment for the future. These tiny artworks can be bought for just a few pounds at a time and so it is a way to invest without breaking the bank.
There are lots of talented Folksy artists that paint aceos…search aceo in the search box and you will see a wonderful variety of miniature art.

4 Likes

I have to thank you Brenda for introducing me to the world of ACEOs, I hadn’t heard of them until I joined folksy and started chatting with you on the forums.

I think they look fabulous displayed on mini easels too, they make super gifts for the person who has everything.

@Louisa15 aka Margaret introduced ACEO to me on this forum 3 years ago and I now paint them on a regular basis as well as other size art of course.

Since I sold my first ACEO miniature on Folksy in 2011 I have now sold this wonderful miniatures in three continents … they are great fun to paint and own, I have several from other artists, which sit on little easels in my office :slight_smile:

I agree with Brenda they are a great way to own original art and there is something for all tastes out there …

This is one of mine …

3 Likes

They are fun, aren’t they! I have bought several, some for me, some for gifts and love them all!

2 Likes

They do make great gifts don’t they, I have given them as gifts too and I know some of mine have been given too, great idea for the person who has everything !!! I do love the mini easels too, I have a couple painted different colours to ring the changes :slight_smile:

The majority of my ACEO collection is bought from @teabreaks - I adore her work! This one is gorgeous:

I think she must have been the first person to introduce ACEOs to Folksy and to all of us artists - we now all spread the word as far and wide as we can but it’s Brenda who started it all on here :smiley:

2 Likes

I have some ACEOs listed in both my shops (painting the is quite addictive!)

I do ACEO sized pet portraits:

And this is the link to the ACEO section in Dandelion’s Miniature Gallery, where I have encaustic ACEOs as well as acrylic ones:

https://folksy.com/shops/DandelionsMiniatureGallery/collections/143211

2 Likes

All us artists and art collectors on here owe a lot to Brenda for introducing us to the delights of ACEOs! :smile:

1 Like

The variety is amazing isn’t it?

I have some ACEO pet portraits available in ink and in oil

@Louisa15 said "All us artists and art collectors on here owe a lot to Brenda for introducing us to the delights of ACEOs! "

Here here :slight_smile:

Could I ask why some ACEO’s come with tiny certificates of authenticity and some dont, is this the artists choice or the difference between prints and originals please. Sorry if I am being a bit thick :smiley:

Hi that is a great question :slight_smile:

I have sold lots of ACEO’s - in the UK and internationally - all are signed on the back and dated and I send a little note / leaflet saying thank you and a little about Encaustic but I don’t send a certificate, and all my pieces are original and unique :slight_smile:

All the ACEO I have bought have been originals too and I have never had a certificate come with any of them!

Have you had many with certificates ? Do you like to have a certificate ?

Hazel

Art In Wax

Hi I have just bought three from a seller on here, they came with a tiny certificate stating "certificate of authenticity ACEO art card, the title of the piece and then in brackets Archival print of artists original aceo artwork. with a copyright and signature, then their website. I thought it was rather lovely to keep with the picture. Rachel

Hi Rachel

That is really interesting :slight_smile: maybe it’s more common with limited addition prints but as you say nice to have to keep as part of your collection :slight_smile:

Hazel

1 Like

I bought some ACEOs from a German artist on Ebay which came with certificates. I don’t think it’s necessary, but some people like to send them. If I had a certificate with every ACEO I’d ever bought, I wouldn’t know what to do with them all!lol

2 Likes

I don’t give certificates, but then I don’t sell prints either. I always write on the back…“original painting by Gweddus”…it is signed and the year is added…no need for anything other than this, especially as some people have hundreds in their collections and what would they do with all the certificates. You don’t usually get a certificate with a large artwork, so I personally can’t see the necessity for one.

I know @teabreaks I am lucky enough to have some of your work on my dining room wall :smiley: Rachel

2 Likes

and Rachel you know that you are lucky enough to have the ONLY one…I don’t DO prints…so every one is unique…lol :wink:

2 Likes

I too can attribute (blame :wink: Brenda for my ACEO obsession lol! I both create and collect them and have quite a few of Brenda’s fabulous works.

Here’s one if mine in encaustic (wax) , Brenda is also to thank for this as well as personally giving me a lesson in using this fun medium, something I valued a lot :smile:

http://folksy.com/items/5208211-ACEO-Miniature-Painting-Encaustic-Art-Undersea-Violet-Shimmer-Free-Uk-P-P

3 Likes