What is good paper to use for lino prints? And the best ink?

I did lots of lino prints for my A level in art, but that was many years ago, and the school supplied the paper, so I never took much notice of what kind of paper is was. Also, we used oil based inks, but there are a lot of watercolour ones on the market now, so anyone got any recommendations?

Iโ€™m itching to get back into print making again :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hello!
It depends on your budget really. I like using linseed oil based inks and Zerkall paper, both available from Lawrence Arts in Hove. Maybe try out a few different sorts of ink and paper and see how you get on. I wish you luck and look forward to seeing your results on Folksy! Emma

1 Like

I use the Great Art website for my supplies and to be honest I play around with papers. An archival quality paper is the best bet- but decent websites will explain the weight and whether itโ€™s decent for printing. I like my prints to be clean and bold- so I use a fairly smooth paper.
In terms of ink I use Caligo ink. Itโ€™s oil based but cleans up dead easily & is uk made and produced & Eco-friendly- which are all the reasons why I use them. Plus I love the colours when using oil based ink- I find the quality so much stronger- and it comes out with a fab texture.- it just takes a little longer to dry.

I always think paper is an experimentation- there are so many. And it often depends on the effect you want to create.

1 Like

Thank you both :smile:

Life was so much simpler at school when we were just given the paper and ink to use LOL

1 Like