Xmas decoration idea, your opinion please

What era do you associate with Christmas the most?
For me its the Victorian era.

I ask, because Ive bought a few pennies all dated from the 1800’s and thought Id use them to make tree decorations.
I thought Id sandwich them between glass and solder them so people can see back and front, maybe add some Victorian MXas ephemera to it. I also have a silver sixpence which used to go in Xmas pudddings.
Do you think others would get the same Xmassy feel from the coins, or is it just me?

I don’t associate coins with Christmas. Would the coins be better used by turning them into some sort of steam punk jewellery rather than tree decorations?
Sasha

Not sure I “get” the idea of sandwiching them between glass. Coins are very robust, so if you want to hang them there are easier ways of attaching the loop. I also agree with Sasha, that they might be a bit wasted as tree decorations. Silver sixpences are supposed to be lucky at any time of the year, so the sixpence would make a great pendant.

Love Sam x

I like the idea :slight_smile:

Using coins as jewellery is done by lots of people, but this is a different way of presenting them. Would love to see a sample of one :slight_smile:

Hmmm, mixed feedback. Maybe I could add some written info(in the back) on how Victoria and Albert brought about the traditions that we associate with Xmas now.
I found this info.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/local/berkshire/hi/people_and_places/history/newsid_9286000/9286971.stm

I do associate coins with Christmas, I am from the era that had sixpences in the christmas pudding neatly wrapped in greaseproof paper. Coins in stockings too now sadly replaced by huge chocolate coins.

1 Like

in glass keeps the value of the coin. Make holes in them reduces the value of the coin. I must admit I hate to see coins that have holes drilled into them but I do like coins that have been placed into something that doesn’t damage the coin.

Keep them they may be worth something one day!

Ive found some glass to make a start on the coin decorations, now all I need to do is work out where Ive put the coins!

2 Likes

I like the idea, it’s a bit different to your ordinary Christmas decoration. I think of coins in Christmas puddings :slight_smile:

Ps: by ‘your’ I mean general Christmas decor, not yours specifically, all yours are lovely and different, there’s nothing ordinary about them :slight_smile:

I think it’s a great idea! Recently bought a necklace with 2 silver sixpences on it which I love (although can’t decide if the coins are real or casts). Bit alarmed to find out afterwards it’s an “on trend with the celebs” type item. Honestly, you can’t like owt these days…:smile_cat: I’ve always liked old coins and think they seem very traditional & Christmassy. My idea of Christmas is a mixture of Victorian and Edwardian eras with battered books n teddies, real holly n ivy etc. Although not sure that quite works out in my house these days! Could a fairly rough n ready metal surround around the glass be made to give an old feel? Guess the difficulty is in keeping it authentic and attractive rather than twee and sentimental! Although maybe that’s what a lot of Christmas is all about :yum:

Yep, theyd be in similar glass to this but flat, with a metal surround. I still havnt found the coins,goodness knows what I did with them.

1 Like

If you do find the coins, how about making a decoration with a pic in, like the one above, but making the pic a vintage one of a crimbo pud and having the coin encased with that? Just an idea.

1 Like

I found the coins, on the tray I use to work on, hidden under pieces of paper.

1 Like