A question about fonts and copyright

I have noticed some card makers offer printed inserts so was wondering what the rules are with using fonts for products you sell. I have lots of fonts on my computer but wasn’t sure that they could be used for the greeting on the front or inside of a card to be sold. Similarly if you stamp a greeting is that all right as you have bought the stamp? Aware this is probably a thorny issue but would appreciate any advice.

Hey.
You’re right, there are some fonts that are in copyright. Your best bet is to have a look online and see if there is a list of fonts that free of copyright x

2 Likes

Technically you could be pursued legally, but the chances are slim, very slim.

There are fonts available which can be used commercially and are free/low cost. There are free to use fonts which you cannot use for commercial purposes at all.

Seek legal advice if you really really really need a definitive answer. (And you may not even get that).

1 Like

The fonts library on my Mac are all copyright free and have also bought other fonts which are the same.

Stamps, depends if the have an Angel policy. Most US stamps do, Joanna Sheen does but the on,y way to know is check on the website if the company.

1 Like

I take it is something along the lines of ‘free for commercial use’?

1 Like

I don’t know about fonts, but most companies that sell stamps have Angel Policies which set out what you can do with their products. These are usually listed on their website - if I’ve been unable to find anything on websites I’ve emailed companies to see what is allowed with their products. I’ve got a list of all the Angel Policies for stamps and dies, if you want to send me a message with the company you have in mind I’ll check my list.

1 Like