Adhesives question

Hi all,

I’m wanting to try some different adhesives for my card making, I currently use Pritt stick and Mod Podge for different parts of the card. I have to be careful with the Mod Podge because if I use too much it warps the card, but I really like it as it seems strong for what I need it for.

There are three areas I need glue for – I was thinking I may stick with these two glues but use the Mod Podge less and swap to double sided tape on one part instead. What I’ve only just realised while looking for options online, is that do I need all these things to be acid free? Or archival quality? I’m finding it hard to find info on the products I currently use too but just wanted people’s opinions on whether they use acid-free adhesives or not?

Thank you!

Caroline

3 Likes

I love Collal glue for card making. It gives a bit of wiggle if you’re positioning layers and doesn’t warp like Mod Podge. I get mine in Hobbycraft.
Personally for cards I don’t worry about it being acid free. Unless it’s some kind of special keepsake, realistically the expectation of a long life in pristine condition isn’t there for cardmaking.

1 Like

Thank you Emma. I’ll take a look at the glue you mentioned. It’s good to hear what someone else thinks about it being acid free, I was hoping I might just be worrying about it too much! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I tend to use either double sided tape or Anita’s tacky glue. I like it as it dries clear, so harder to see any overspill.

1 Like

Thanks Alison :slight_smile:

1 Like

Beware, double sided tape will eventually mark your cards. It’s very bad for artwork.

1 Like

Thanks for the warning. I’m wondering how much it will affect my cards - I use glue to attach my cross stitch pictures onto a small piece of card (I’ll continue doing this) and was thinking of using the double sided tape to attach that small piece of card onto coloured paper (which then gets glued onto the actual main white card). So it won’t actually touch the cross stitch picture or the main card, if you see what I mean, but I guess it will affect the bits in between.

You could always try a test piece and see how long it takes to discolour your artwork.

1 Like

Yes good idea, thanks for your help :slight_smile:

1 Like

I use acid free glue as it doesn’t take long for discoloration to start in some circumstances (I’ve had Mothers day cards that didn’t sell and by the following year were spoilt) Hunkydory construction glue is good as is Pinflair bookbinding glue (but only use a little bit as it can show through if you apply too much) I use double sided tape sometimes but it doesn’t give ‘wiggle time’ so you need to be careful to place it correctly.

2 Likes

Thanks Diane, that’s good to know. I’ll take a look at those glues too :slight_smile:

1 Like

You’re very welcome. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi. I use Collall too. It’s an all purpose glue so good for all sorts of projects!

1 Like

Thanks Catherine, the Collall glue looks good so think I’ll give it a try!

You’re welcome, hopefully you won’t be disappointed with your purchase? I can assure you I haven’t been let down by this wonder glue!
Catherine

1 Like