Advice on how to attach something securely

I am making little ceramic birds and flowers which will be attached to wire and they will stand in a wooden bobbin. Although they are shoved into the bobbin and feel secure, I would like to be able to permanently attach them, I dont want the risk of a small child pulling them apart and injuring themselves (bit paranoid like that sometimes).

I dont think glue will do the job. I was wondering about expanding foam (just a little squirt if thats possible?). Is there any sort of florist type stuff?

Does anyone have any advice? Ideas?
Thanks
Haley

Do you mean the stuff plummers use as that expands and set very hard and secure’s very tightly.

Yes the foam that expands and goes hard. But not sure how controllable it is. Any one used it?
Haley

only used it in diy when we re plummed thehouse.

I tiny amount expands really large and sets like concrete.

You need to try it out ie practice with it.

Somehow I think you’ll find it hard to use. but as it expands in the air you can wipe the extra way with a cloth but you need to be quick

I think I will find it hard to use too and I have heard that the pipe the foam comes out blocks up fast.

Maybe back to the drawing board or stop being so fussy and assume that people wont try and pull the display/ornament apart!?

Thanks you Eileens Draft Studio

Haley, that foam is really, really sticky. It comes out of the can like a shot and sets amazingly fast…
I’d recommend the good old Hot Glue Gun, if you can manage it - failing that a “cold” glue gun (which is still warm!)
You can buy them in good craft shops, along with the glue sticks. A bit of practise would be needed, to learn to control it well, but on the whole, hot glue is very good.

Hope you find a good solution - do post us some photos when you’ve finished!

Lizzie
LizzieMade Hand Bound Books

Thankyou Lizzie, I have scrubbed the foam plan now. Yes may have to try glue gun (hot or coldish!).
Haley

Pinflair glue?..I have used to to fix our kitchen chairs that were broken and to fix a toilet roll holder to tiles…takes a while to set but is solid. I have heard of a lady on create and craft who mended the heel of her shoe with it and it stayed fixed.

Thanks Brenda, not heard of that glue.

I actually wanted something that would engulf(?) the wires and hold them firm. But I may now try and somehow stitch and glue them. Need some experimenting time, but sadly need them for a big craft fair on Saturday!.
Better get on…
Haley

pinflair is brilliant…sets rock hard…and costs about £5 a tube…

1 Like

You could either hammer some notches or put a twist in the wire to make it key better, another product that might work in the bobbins (for another occasion , as I expect you are sorted for your fair) is tile grout, easy to use - not sticky and sets like stone, also it would add a bit of weight.

The wire is twisted so it does hold quite firmly. So I am ok for now, but tile grout sounds good will def try that too.

Thanks.