Air Mail stickers

I hope that this is the correct category for this…please move it admin if you think it is in the wrong place.

Today, I went to the post office to ask for some “air mail” stickers. The lady behind the counter said that they were no longer issuing them and they were no longer required as all the mail went by air mail anyway.
I asked her if it was necessary to write “Air Mail” on the envelope and she said that I could if I wanted to but it was no longer necessary.
Has anyone else heard of this?
I put Air Mail stickers on all non UK envelopes that I send…

That’s strange. my mum lives in Spain and I always have to put an airmail sticker on things to her.
It might be a new thing tho

It still says on their website to put a sticker on OR write Air Mail in the top left hand corner…but the lady said that they are no longer using them…watch this space…

1 Like

I had wondered whether they would be phased out as the printed postage has a large A in the middle - presumably A for Airmail - 2 stickers for the same thing seems a bit redundant. Perhaps I shall hoard my precious remaining half a sheet if they are going to become a rarity!

2 Likes

The last time I wanted something to go to the US by sea I had to ask specifically for it. There was no rush, it was an Xmas pressie that our American visitor left behind, so I wanted it to go as cheaply as possible.

I find my post office doesn’t always do those big printed labels.
It likes giving me stamps. But I do write airmail on just incase.
It most probably is because of the printed labels if they are stopping the airmail stickers.
Just seems ability strange

This hasn’t been necessary for ages-The last time I sent something abroad with an airmail sticker was 25 years ago, and I send stuff to relatives in Spain quite regularly.

Love Sam x

that is reeally interesting Samantha…I suppose that the cost of printing and supplying the labels is part of cut backs.

1 Like

In my experience, Post Office counter staff are not always well-informed on their policies. I can still get Air Mail stickers at my branch, and I send letters to the US 4 times a week.

I’m sure you’re right, Brenda. Now the postal service has been completely privatized little touches like complementary stickers will magically disappear!

Love Sam x

1 Like

Its now 2018… I still get airmail stickers from the post office… so very weird!!

My post office still gives me sheets of them, and still wants them on everything going overseas.
Strange how things vary across the country.