All I want for Christmas is

Thanks for coping with me grumpy-bum! Mine’s the ginger nuts…???

1 Like

Blah… remind me not to moan about running back & forth to make meals for my mum, plus having a home to run, a son to help & support at school and trying to run a “business”. Sounds like I’ve got it easy!
I really hope things improve for all of you very soon. XX

1 Like

What I’d like for Christmas, other than my house repainted, new (non-drafty) windows, redecorated living room and kitchen, is … time to put my feet up, enjoy a box of chocs with a glass or 2 or 3 of Baileys and this:

and as I’ve dropped so many hints to my sister, I’m really, really hoping it’ll be under the Christmas tree for me :smile:

Elaine

2 Likes

So sorry to read about your difficulties. Speaking as a not particularly assertive person myself, I have a feeling you need to be a little more assertive about a few things. For example, the ironing - why are you doing that?? And how about other jobs? I khow how difficult it can be to break established patterns, but I don’t see how things can go on the way you describe them, you are carrying too much. Perhaps think things over very carefully and write down a few changes you’d like to see - then sit down with your daughter and her partner and have an assertive (i.e. not aggressive, not submissive) talk with them?

1 Like

All I want for Christmas is for my landlord to fix my log burner - I’m freezing my nuts off here!! Oh, I haven’t got any? See they’ve dropped off already.
x

2 Likes

Oh, don’t get me on about landlords. My bathroom is original 1976, when the bungalow was built, large toilet tank that uses gallons of water every flush, those out of date “chicken” tiles, a shower that doesn’t work, windows that are constantly wet with condensation. Yuk. but it’s a lovely “village” to live.
As for myself, there’s nothing much I want, not that I’ve got everything, but I hate spending money on myself.
I wish for a good year for Denise next year. Marg. x

1 Like

You are all so very kind and I thank you all for your thoughts. A little point though…it’s not me who does ironing in this house! My OH - Steve - discovered a love of ironing a good few years ago when I had managed to break my ankle, slipping on the stairs.
That in itself has a family legend attached to it. It was in the days when we were both working full-time, and one Friday evening, Steve suggested I had a bit of “me-time” and had a wander around the shops the next morning. That night, I slipped on the bottom few stairs, ricked my ankle (I thought) but went back to bed. The following morning, it hurt like wotsits but I was grimly determined to have my amble to town, drove the six miles or so and set off. I’d been wandering for a good hour or so but the ankle was so painful I came home. I sat down for a cuppa and within twenty minutes my ankle/foot were melon sized, so Steve took me to A&E where the break was clear to see via x-ray. Sheer bloody-mindedness took me to town to drive and walk but…I’m renowned for it. When I passed out in thebathroom from IBS pain, at least ten years ago, I woke up in a puddle of blood (I’d hit my head on the corner of the bath as I fell) but just wiped the floor and went back to bed! Still have the scar.
This has turned into another self-obsessed rant again. I apologise as my only intention was to say Steve does our ironing. He loves it so much he 's been known to ask till operators if they have any they’d like doing! He really is my rock and hero and I am truly blessed to be with him. I so want him to be back to his rightful self soon - he’s waiting for surgery on a hernia and can’t do some of the things,mainly lifting, that he’d usually do without a second thought.
You’re right on the button with assertiveness. I used to be self-confident enough to sing solo on stage (sang the lead in College production of Gluck’s Orfeo- the role was for a male alto so I was a female soprano but got it done) and to be a teacher for20 years until the aftereffects of a cancer cure caught up with me. When I had my brain haemorrage in March last year, some of the ward staff bullied their patients; I was one of them and being scared and in a strange place, that bullying knocked my self-confidence into another universe. One of the bullying tactics was to refuse me the pain-relief I permanently need and which is GP prescribed. When I left the hospital I put a written complaint in. They did reply but it was mainly token apologies but blah blah. They even said that Steve had “been aggressive” . If trying to get your wife the medication for pain she should have is being aggressive, then they have a point. He’s the gentlest, kindest,least agressive man you might meet. I have never known him use violence/aggression even when sorely provoked. Possibly,the fact he’s a well-muscled, 6 foot tall chap who is very well spoken and pointed in his speech when he needs to be - not foulmouthed, but clever- was construed as aggressive enough to be put into my notes.
It’s only now that I’m beginning to pick myself up,and my GP has put me in for one-to-one CBT to try to help me get my self-confidence and assertiveness back. I’m far too good at putting a cheerful mask on for the world when inside I want to sit and cry in a corner.
ENOUGH!
Thanks for your time and words - it means a lot to us.
And now for something entirely different! I’m going to have a try at needle-felting, using a kit I bought here from a lady called Sophie Buckley. I daren’t make any more jewellery, as sales are so nonexistent at the moment that we’re disappearing under piles of Folly items. Seriously considering no more re-listing and letting things run through. Maybe even cross the floor!
Good job this isn’t Twitter, but at least you’ve enough bed-time reading here to keep you occupied for a week.
Happy sales,everyone

1 Like

Like the jotter - great idea - though I’m not sure,if I gave it as a gift, they’d be impressed when I took off my clothes as I passed it over!
This is a trivial being-funny attempt, not criticism, as the description talks about "bare to part with it.":grin:

1 Like

Good typo…Folly instead of Folksy in previous post!

I didn’t actually read all the item description - just knew it was for me from the title and pic! LOL, I see what you’re saying :wink:

1 Like

I’m sure you will get your confidence back. Being bullied is very crushing - I have had this done to me and it did take time to recover. But the Real Denise is in there and you will find her again.
Keep plugging away, don’t give up. I’m sure many of us have been low at times in our lives and can sympathise - just don’t give in! XXX

1 Like