Am i going in the right direction?

hi
i have been sewing and creating items for the past 5 years, i started customizing then went on to making clothing from scratch, i haven’t done very well selling clothing if im honest only sold a few bits here and there,i thought of going back to t-shirts or something different ,i like to make things different /novelty… now im starting to wonder id clothing is the right path for me?? i keep getting the thought of cushion making come to me, i love sewing and creating its just the selling bit that does not go so well,maybe im having a doubtful day today.can anybody relate or advise?

I’m not sure what to advise about the direction you should take. Making what you are good at and what you enjoy is a good starting point. Then customers will tell you what they like viewing and buying certain products. And you continue like that.

It is difficult selling clothes online as customers will prefer to try them on, look at the mirror and then decide. Maybe for kids is easier. But I had a look at your shop and you barely give any information about the clothes to the potential customers. I would add a bit more, try to sell the items, highlight the good points etc. Because it is difficult to sell clothes online, I would add as many photos as possible.

I agree with @Minerva, you need more in your descriptions. Also I wonder if changing your titles may help. I don’t suppose anyone will search for a “white candy circular skirt” but they may search for girls skirt age 1.5-2yrs so maybe including the word girls, child’s or toddlers in the title and also the age it is aimed at may help especially if it is one of many pulled up in a search result. Likewise with your other items. At the moment I doubt some of them are even being seen.

I hope you don’t mind me saying but I’m looking at your little red dress as if was a potential customer and there are a few things I would be looking for in your description.

What material is the dress made from?

Are the sequins sewn on, or glued on?

I also notice you are not using sentences There are no capital letters at the beginning of your sentences so hard to read.

I looked at your rather nice pink and white striped slouchy beanie hat but I would have liked to see more ie the back, top and face on. You have only used two of your five photo’s, remember potential customers can only make their decision on whether to buy or not by your photo’s and descriptions. They can not pick it up and take a good look at it like in a brick and mortar shop on the high street.

Are you promoting your items and your shop?

Are you using sites like pinterst, stumbleupon. twitter, facebook, craftjuice, google+, wanelo etc etc?

Are you using business cards with your folksy shop details on to hand to friends, family, people you meet?

Are you using the showcase part of the forum and joining in the promoting threads in that section.

Remember the internet is gigantic so we have to try to direct people to our shops as there are so many shops on the internet.

I hope this help and all the best.

1 Like

I really like your novelty bags, very unusual and unique, and the wine glass socks are BRILLIANT for parties. A great idea. No coasters necessary!
Dont give up. I’ve been on Folksy for 3 years and it’s been very slow indeed.
Stay positive!

I agree with everyone’s comments and it is hard to sell on the internet. I joined Folksy in June of this year and its also been very slow for me, I have only had one sale. I sell handmade greeting cards, but thought of expanding on the items I sell. If anyone could pop over to my shop and give me some advice, that would be great. Thanks.

lovely cards I’ve not seen you shop before and lovely Christmas ball decorations.

Yeah I think the others gave great advice @createfuls especially with the titles of products and descriptions. And maybe a bit more info in the description of your shop about what you make.

Your cards are really lovely but I would recommend that you use more natural light when taking the pictures if possible, they are a bit dark.

I’m only on Folksy since May so I’m still learning too but possibly having Christmas as the first word in your title would help people find your cards easier?

Thanks for your advice xx