Anyone doing any fairs this year?

I’ve found that the best fairs to do are the ones that attract my specific target market, and they happen to be the larger, more expensive ones! It depends what you sell and who you’re aiming your work at - if it’s mainly small items aimed at young mums, then the small, local fairs or school-related events are probably going to be more successful for you. If you sell high-end homewares or artwork, then probably not!

I’ve tried all types over the years, done really well at some and really badly at others, so I know pretty much where to focus my efforts now. I’m also happier under cover rather than outside, like a bit of space, and prefer the buzz of larger events. I hate setting up/taking down so choose to do the 2-3 day fairs as it means I only have to do it once, and the footfall is so much higher, so sales tend to be much better for me. I only do about 6 shows a year now, compared to 3 or 4 times that when I did the smaller ones, so much less effort for more reward :smile:

2 Likes

I’ve only once done an outdoor event & it was a disaster it turned into a breezy drizzly day so I sent half my time covering everything with polythene and the other half chasing cards across the field, then I didn’t make enough to even cover my stall fee! the only good thing was it was a charity event and they managed to raise more than they’d hoped.

Hi, I don’t have any fairs booked, but have 3 pop up shop dates booked for March, October and December. Four of us group together so it shares out the rent and the number of days we need to do. These have been really good for us. I did a Christmas fair last year with my sister and it was okay, we covered our costs and made a small amount over. May do it again this year. Liz

I am going to be taking my tiny Art In Wax Miniatures to some Dolls House and Miniature fairs this year.

I have only ever done 3, at the end of last year and they were great fun so hope to do more very soon. Staying local at the moment (essex / suffolk) but my venture to further a field ones if they continue to sell as well as they are :slight_smile:

That’s sounds great! @handknitwoman I did a pop up shop with a local craft co. Did OK. But not with them anymore. I never sold anything at all on line with them but did OK stall wise. Good luck of you do it again.

I’ve booked the summer season at Prom Art, Grange over Sands. It’s the last Sunday of the month April to September, and being so regular helps with the promotion and return customers. My gazebo site is near the café, which is great for several reasons :smile:

1 Like

It’s official I booked.my first craft fair of this.year.
http://www.scola.ac.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/SpringFairBannerforWeb2015.png
I’m really looking forward to it. I did it last year and it was brilliant

Im selling at my first vintage fair in a few days. Im pricing things up at the mo. I can take some of my stuff but its nice to know i can take bracelets, bags, clothes and necklaces Ive bought over the years in a retro style to sell them.
Money wise its godd as its a £5 deposit then they take 30% of sales. So Id need to take £70 in order to pay £21 to the organisers, rather than pay £20 and run the risk of selling nothing.

That sounds like a very good way of pricing a stall.
I think we have all paid for a stall then not made the money back.
I usually do really well at the scola ones.
So I don’t mind paying. £20 for the stall plus all the money goes towards the school so it’s worth it all round.
I hope you do really wel. you will have to
Let us know how it goes?

I’ve signed up to do Cambridge Open Studios in July, last year was the first time I did it and I took over £1000 over the 4 weekends so I’m hoping for the same again. Currently mulling over whether to get a stall at a classic/ custom car show on the late May bank holiday weekend, not sure how much jewellery petrol heads wear but I have got some vintage fordite which being made of car paint should appeal to them.

I’ll be in Essex tomorrow at the Rivenhall dolls house and miniature fair :slight_smile:

More info on my website www.artinwax.co.uk

1 Like

I’m a petrol head Sasha and I make jewellery :slight_smile: You also have to remember that loads of wives and girlfriends, get dragged along or go along just so they aren’t spending yet another weekend on their own ( many people into classic cars and bikes do shows almost every weekend over the summer) I’ve done a couple of car shows and done reasonably well… I think its because the men daren’t say do you really need that after dragging their partner to yet another show :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have loads booked. The last count is 20! I have them booked throughout the year. I am trying lots of different venues, some close to home, others a couple hours drive away. I have booked to do the Spring Fair at The Royal Welsh show ground this year. I have never done an event so large before, so I hope to do well. Local fairs in this area cost between £25 and £50 per table so I have invested a lot of capital into fairs this year. At least I will know which ones are worthwhile for next year and which ones to avoid. I have already attended two fairs this year and they were ok. Fingers crossed they will be worth the investment.

I hope everyone does really well and sales are many,

Jacqueline x

Four booked so far - first one at the end of April at Firle Place (E Sussex), then the Floral Fringe Fair at Knepp Castle (W Sussex) at the end of May, followed by Stansted House (Hants) and Loseley Park (Surrey) in June/July. Three of them are ‘Garden Shows’ which run for 3 days each over the weekend, the other is a 2-day weekend. All are in marquees, so hoping for good weather!
I’m now looking into Autumn/Christmas fairs in Sept-Dec, so will probably book those very soon. It is a massive investment, but I usually do fairly well at the larger ones, so fingers crossed!

I’ll also be doing 2 local art trails this year and maybe a few small, local fairs in between :smile:

I’ve recently booked 2 in our village, one in June the same day as the annual ‘open gardens’ Sunday so hopefully a lot of people about, the other one is in November so a long way ahead, Keeping an eye on stallfinder for any others as I seem to be selling more ‘face to face’ than online.

Find out more about the Becketts Farm Easter Craft Fair on the Website! We’d love to see some of you there :smile:

http://www.beckettsfarm.co.uk/special-events/easter-craft-fair/

I’ve booked in for my first fair of 2015 next Sunday. The event is in Hadleigh Essex, fingers crossed there will be a good footfall.

Hi
I have three booked in so far
Harrietsham Vintage Fayre March 29th
Fant Village Hall in aid of Breast Cancer research May 24th this is a ticketed event with cream tea as part of the entrance fee
Craft fayre at the Studions in Maidstone in July 2nd

I like doing these.
Wishing everyone good luck

That is brilliant hope.they go well.
I’m booking a stall in my local library for.next Wednesday.
I normally do well at the.library. The staff usually end.up buying more than anyone else

1 Like

I’ve now got another one lined up for 18th July. So hopefully I’ll have plenty of stock for that one.