Anyone learning something new during lock down?

Hi,
I’m new to Folksy so not sure if this is the right way/place to post. Anyway, here goes. I’ve decided to use some of this isolation time to learn something new. I bought a kit from Folksy and am learning (basic) embroidery (will post pic when finished if it doesn’t end up a bunch of knots and tangles). Are any of you talented people doing something similar? Would be great to hear/see what you are learning, whether it’s honing current skills or taking a leap into the unknown! Stay well. BimbleBird (Becca):blush:

12 Likes

I am being “forced” to do online banking…help…lol…

8 Likes

Well done on trying something new Becca @Bimblebird. Looking forward to seeing your WIP or the finished result.

Paula :smile: x

3 Likes

You’ll be fine, Brenda @teabreaks, I promise. It will make things a lot easier for you in the long run when you’ve overcome your initial misgivings and are used to it. I don’t like change either, but I’m trying to learn to embrace it where I can. Just think of it as following another crochet pattern if that helps.

Take care,

Paula :smile: xx

4 Likes

I’m going to finish my work in progress box for handmade cards (that’ll definitely be something new for me!!)… Oh and tidy up the craft room (that’s also something new lol)… :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I have made some cushion covers with piped edges, they look lovely, will add them to my shop when I have made enough items to open up again.

5 Likes

I’m going to make myself a skirt, I’ve sewn for years and years but I’ve never made clothes before…should be interesting!

6 Likes

Just purchased an overlocker, so looking to get to grips with it and start some dressmaking which I haven’t done seriously in years.

4 Likes

Once you get the hang of it Brenda it’s a godsend. I’m shopping for my neighbours and they pay me by cheque, love the fact I can take a pic and pay it in on my iPad instead of a trip to the bank which would really be a non essential journey. Good luck x

4 Likes

Yes, I’m being forced to do online banking. And I’m learning quite how far a pack of sausages can be stretched… thank crunchie I managed to nab a very rare click and collect spot the other night. Being one of the 12 week-ers has meant no grocery shopping for over a month now. We’ve managed but oh how nice it is to have fresh fruit. I’ll never take an apple for granted again.

6 Likes

I’m teaching myself how to make drop vessels in my glass kiln. It’s something I’ve wanted to try for a while but haven’t had the confidence or time to do it. I’ve had to learn how to manually programme my kiln, understand how to form the base glass and making it thick enough and then watching it as it drops in the kiln. My next task is to learn how to remove the rim. I tried to do it manually following some videos I had seen but it didn’t work so now I’m waiting until I can get a rotary tool to cut it off - that scares me in itself! I’m definitely out of my comfort zone but I’m learning lots so regardless of how the rim removal goes, it’s been worth it! Good luck to all of you who are trying out new things - nothing ventured, nothing gained, eh?!!!

4 Likes

What’s a WIP when it’s at home?!!:laughing:

1 Like

Another ‘necessary evil’!! Good luck!:grin:

1 Like

Look forward to seeing a sample!:blush:

2 Likes

Wow! Sounds adventurous and brave. Would love to see one.x

2 Likes

Work in progress! :joy::joy:

2 Likes

Sorry, work in progress, Becca @Bimblebird, lol

Paula :smile: x

1 Like

Morning.

I’ve not starting anything new. But I’ve gone back to things I hadn’t done for years. Cross stitching, which I found all my own little drawings I had done and cross stitched them up.

Also found my love of baking again, cakes, bread and even made pastry. It’s a good job hubbie is still working and he can take some cakes to work, otherwise I will be about 2 stone heavier by the time this is back to normal

Ruth xx

3 Likes

Well done on trying something new. I’d love to see when it’s finished. I’ve been trying to learn to make clothes and have a skirt all cut out but still haven’t made time to sew it even in lockdown :see_no_evil:

2 Likes

I’m learning that dandelions can flower while your back is turned. :slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes