Your next new skill?

I try to learn something new every year, and I’m thinking of trying some enamel work next year. I’m actually running out of crafts to try as I’ve had a go at almost everything now, so I’ll be revisiting a few that I had a go at years ago like linocut and macrame pretty soon.

What’s the next skill that you want to have a go at, or perhaps master?

I would like to try dry felting. Wet felting looks a bit too messy for me.

Gill

Glass fusing, I recently attended a workshop and found it scary and quite amazing. I think I would like to know more.
Enamelling looks fun too, and I have done needle felting, in fact Gill @rainbowsnmore I have some needle felting needles and brush to sell if your interested?

Rachel

I would love to learn to crochet and knit lovely things from patterns. I’m always amazed when I see a knitted jumper or cardigan with a complex design. Its very clever :smile:
I have tried to learn a few times and could probably rustle up a basic scarf (with one or two huge holes in it) lol
I used to cross stitch and longstitch many moons ago. I found it very therapeutic.

Karen

1 Like

Hi @silvapagan, “running out of crafts to try” made me smile, I’m the same. There’s always something new I want to try. Macrame sounds interesting. I’ve been meaning to revisit my melt pot. So many ideas, so little time!

1 Like

I was forever trying out new crafts but discovered felting at the beginning of this year and I am now well and truly hooked. There are so many more things I want to try with it, lots of ideas whizzing round in my head so hopefully with a bit more time in the new year I can try some of them and develop the ones I have already done.

I would love to try glass work so I could make my own beads for my jewellery. I don’t think I will have the money or the time to tackle that one for a while though…

Hi Rachel could be interested if you could maybe message me with details please.

Gill

1 Like

I recommend Jewel enamel to anyone it’s easy to do and you get beautiful results, I use it with my jewellery but it would be good for card making too

2 Likes

At the moment,I am making a Ukelele from UTube vids, I have never made an instrument before and look forward to actually playing one that I have made at our Uke Club.

Paul

4 Likes

I’ve always fancied trying rag rugs. And felting. Having trouble at the moment with shoulder pain so have curtailed knitting. Liz.

Liz, @handknitwoman. Be careful with both felting and rag rugs. I made some rag rug style cushions for my girls last christmas and found it very strenuous on my wrists - maybe it was just my technique but it may cause a problem with your shoulder. Also felting - both wet and dry felting require repetitive processes involving the arms (wet felting more so than dry). I am suffering from tennis elbow at the moment and it is severely restricting what I can do. Good luck if you do decide to go ahead - I have really enjoyed both crafts and am now totally addicted to felting :smile:

1 Like

That’s one of the reasons I like to try new crafts out; I have arthritis, so I need to not spend all day doing one thing over and over, I need to spread myself around a bit with lots of different actions so I don’t pay for it the following day! :smile:

Some cool ideas here folks!

2 Likes

Hi, @rozcrafts, thanks for the information. I’m not going to rush in to anything new just yet, hopefully shoulders will improve. I did try crochet, good at granny squares, not good at following patterns. Liz

I would love to learn Lace making, my son’s great gran use to do it and it was fascinating watching her with all those wooded bobbins,twisting in and out etc.
Her pieces of lace she made were so lovely :smile:

2 Likes

Gill, this is the listing - have a look see what you think.Rachel

Many thanks Rachel be perfect for starters to see how it goes just need to find a few spare moments never enough hours in the day is there?
Gill

1 Like

I’d like to learnt to crochet too. I started knitting last year, I don’t really have any knitting projects I just enjoy keeping my hands busy. I seem to make lots of squares. :wink:

1 Like

Like all you others finding a new craft is essential, I want to try screen printing. Husband bought me a kit now I just need the time!

1 Like

I have just started stone setting and enjoying it very much. Although part of jewellery making, it’s a new skill for me, as I’ve worked mainly in Sterling silver and resin to date. Here’s a professional image of my first attempt taken by Paul Mounsey Photography:

More to come on: www.facebook.com/WildeWorks!

3 Likes