Art chat thread. January 2020

Here is the place to show and chat about anything art related…

I would like to wish everyone on Folksy a very happy New Year.

I am offering a 30% discount on my Folksy shop until 18th January to try and make some storage space for all the new paintings and drawings I will be creating this year. https://folksy.com/shops/HRNicholsonart

I would be interested in how any of you promote your Folksy store :grinning:

4 Likes

Hello,

So last year we created a set of images for a children’s book and now the author has asked us to be the official illustrator for her book series which is great…however she found us through mutual friends and I’m a bit stuck on how to grab attention of other authors when they are looking for illustrators…any ideas?

1 Like

Happy New Year all. Hope we all have a creative and lucrative 2020.
New listing, a watercolour of St. Michael’s Mount, Cornwall.
Everyone paints this, so I thought might as well have a go!

Love your pen and ink painting @HRNicholsonart. To answer your question, I promote mainly on Instagram and Facebook. I have made a few sales through Instagram and it’s easy to gain followers quickly. Having said that, my Facebook following seems to be accelerating at the moment, but it’s taken a while. Social media promotion is definitely a marathon rather than a sprint.
I’m not sure how to grab authors’ attention @DoodleDork. Perhaps promote on Instagram with some author/publishing friendly hashtags.
On a similar subject, I had an email out of the blue from a small gift shop in Cornwall asking if they could license an image of my work for their home made jam labels. Also said they would stock my cards in their shop. I know nothing about licensing and they have a small reach so I know I won’t make much out of it, but anything that gets you out there must be a good thing.

8 Likes

Hello @teabreaks, @HRNicholsonart, @DoodleDork, @ChrisStoneArtist and all the other great artists here on Folksy - and a very Happy New Year to you! It was all a bit hectic in December, wasn’t it? I hope to be around here a bit more again from now on!

3 Likes

welcome to everyone…let us see some fab art and sales this year x

2 Likes

Happy New Year :blush:
@ChrisStoneArtist I do love the above painting Chris, and great about the licensing of an image, I don’t know much about that side of things either.
One of my goals this year is to be more focused and organised, so I do hope to pop by more regularly!
All the best to everyone.
Maria x

good to see so many of you joining in…
today I have an aceo
https://folksy.com/items/7387113-aceo-original-art-painting-landscape-ref-f-993-

4 Likes

black and white today
https://folksy.com/items/7388329-original-art-aceo-miniature-painting-ref-F-994-

4 Likes

Best wishes for the New Year everyone. Here’s a watercolour I did a while ago, I’ve been sorting through some older paintings.

4 Likes

I’d done this painting without the dragonfly last year, but as soon as it went up at an open exhibition I realised it didn’t look finished. After it came home it sat untouched on my wall for months, until a week ago when I was getting my paintings ready for an exhibition in a local library building and remembered I hadn’t sorted it yet. Last minute fix but I’m much happier with it now.

4 Likes

An Alpine Scene in watercolour. #lovesnow

3 Likes

great work everyone.
I have an aceo today
https://folksy.com/items/7391897-original-aceo-art-watercolour-painting-ref-F998-

3 Likes

Popping in to wish everyone a Happy New Year, I’m afraid I’m having a slow start to the year, supposed to be painting for the Twitter Art Exhbit again this year but so far I’ve drawn a blank, have to put my thinking cap on. Great to see you’ve all been busy, lovely work everyone. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

A Lapwing, watercolour. One of my favourite birds to paint.

3 Likes

Duart Castle, watercolour. Located on the beautiful Isle of Mull. It has a lovely tea room too!

3 Likes

A stunning painting Graham @GKWatercolourArt (as always).

2 Likes

I restocked my shop

After having a break for a while and here is one of my latest items
Hope you like it

5 Likes

Beautiful painting Pam @PamelaWestArt. Great colours and technique.

1 Like

Thank you Chris :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like