Barclays new tv ad

Is it just me, or is anyone else a bit annoyed with the new Barclay’s advertisement on tv?
A lady comes on and says that Barclay’s have advised her when shopping online, to put an item in her shopping cart but NOT to check it out. They advise to leave it there without paying for it and if she is lucky the shop will offer her a discount to persuade her to pay for it !!!
What ARE they thinking of?..I now have visions of people putting items in their cart and it just sitting there…not a good idea Barclays !!

3 Likes

That’s very strange advice indeed, though I haven’t seen the ad. I hope it doesn’t lead to a spate of non-payers here!

I couldn’t do that in the hope the seller might be so desperate as to offer me a discount, but I suppose some people might.

1 Like

I’ll admit to signing up for newsletters to see if I can get discount codes off future purchases but I wouldn’t put something in my basket and then wait - normally because the basket gets emptied at somepoint by my internet connection falling over. It strikes me as a very strange thing for them to be suggesting people do.

1 Like

That is shocking!! I had to google the ad after reading this, here it is for those who haven’t seen it

1 Like

Wondering where I can complain about this. Isn’t there a place somewhere you can complain about tv ads - not too sure its very ethical. Cant see it helping the economy generally either.

1 Like

They can’t be serious! This doesn’t look that professional to me, coming from a large bank like Barclays. Are you sure this is created by the bank itself? It says so at the end, but I’m not convinced. Did you watch that on TV or internet? I don’t watch TV so I can’t see it.

I’ve just seen it (thanks Donna), can’t be real surely?!!

Wow I’m really supposed that someone thought that was appropriate advice - they don’t appear to have considered small businesses at all. Disappointing.

1 Like

You can complain about this ad or any other here: http://asa.org.uk/Consumers/How-to-complain.aspx.

It’s advice that’s been around for years, lots of websites where customers register (amazon etc) have long offered incentives to try and entice customers back to abandoned shopping carts and because of that many people have doled out advice telling customers to do it on purpose and cross their fingers for a discount:) It’s just advice as old as eretail regurgitated by barclays now.

Some of the new cashback websites are even built around the idea of offering the discount upfront and many of the participating shops on these sites are the same ones who offer abandonment recovery incentives, it just skips the gap in the middle and secures the sale a bit quicker.

I’ve just found it accessing Barclays’ own website - it’s on their YouTube channel. I’ve left a “dislike” but I think this is more targeted at large retailers rather than us small businesses, so I’m not taking it too much to heart.

oh it’s real I saw it last night on TV and was very annoyed by it. I will complain.

thanks for sharing the link Donna…

1 Like

It has been on tv several times this week

Yes Margaret it is a real ad for Barclays Bank

I have had 5 non payments this week, I have never had this before. I wonder if this was partially responsible. Rachel

1 Like

I realise I am in the minority here but I thought it was very clever way to entice older people to use the internet for shopping, That can only be a good thing for all of us. Sometimes what seems on the face to be tarnished turns out to be sterling underneath.

1 Like

It’s great Barclays want to promote online shopping to the older generation but tips are not facts and not every retailer can have a good checkout / email marketing system in place. If it becomes the norm then I can only see retailers increasing prices to account for these discounted transactions.

Down Vote if you disagree with this campaign - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbwX_XngSWM

I see this as a trend, it works with many larger stores. Smaller retailers need to learn metric matter and that they need to better track their customers to make sure they are getting it right.

~ Auoro.com

1 Like

This is what annoys me that in the end prices will be increased and people will expect to get a discount on everything.

1 Like

Last time someone put something in their basket and didn’t pay, I emailed them and asked them to contact me if they were having a problem with the site. It’s usually worked before and people have contacted me saying things like 'I was having a problem with Paypal". This time I got no reply. So I’m wondering if they were expecting me to give them a discount! Annoying behaviour that should not be encouraged.

4 Likes