Black Friday / Cyber Monday

A perfect response.

Bravo hear hear great post.

Does that mean that everyone who is discounting their items for Black Friday is normally overcharging by 10%? Iā€™d rather sell at my not-overcharged price all year and refrain from discounting it on random days chosen by another country. But each to his/her own.

I do wonder though how many US sellers follow other countriesā€™ retail patterns? Do they also have January sales like we traditionally do in the UK?

1 Like

I donā€™t think Leslie is saying that people who discount 10% on BF are overcharging by 10%.
We are talking one day here, or 4 days if you count CM and the week end in between.
My prices are as low as I can do them for but if it meant picking up a few visits or possible sales I would give a small discount for a couple of days.

Yes Christine, they do. They usually start on Boxing Day (in Canada), or January 2nd in the US. They are called January Sales or White Sales . This has been the case for at least as long as Iā€™ve been around and Iā€™m almost 60.

And no, I donā€™t mean that everyone charges 10% more than they need to just so they can drop the price. I am saying that retailers, both small and large factor discounts, write-offs, etc. into their pricing strategy as it is a cost of sales. This would cover returns that canā€™t be resold or lost (some people self-insure for items that are lost in the post) and discounts when they wish to go on sale.

I think that some people just donā€™t get it. Whether it is another countryā€™s custom or not isnā€™t the issue here. The internet is global. If another country (in this case the US with 316+ million in population) is holding a sale across all their internet venues, then no matter where you are based if you donā€™t offer similar you are more likely to lose sales during that period. If you are running a business then wouldnā€™t you rather be on equal footing to others? As @HandcraftedbyPicto stated and with which I agree, if it means a few sales, a small discount is warranted.

I do understand what youā€™re saying Leslie, @ManiacalMosaics, I just donā€™t agree with you. I understand that large retailers use sales to shift stock at certain times of the year when sales are are generally a bit slow for them, and they obviously can afford to do it as their margins are massive, and they actually negotiate lower costs from their suppliers for these bigger sales events anyway, so theyā€™re not losing much of their margin. I do know about retail margins, product costings etc as Iā€™ve worked in industry most of my life as an accountant, so that is bread and butter to me, but the fact remains that Iā€™m not a big retailer, I donā€™t buy finished goods from suppliers and canā€™t negotiate lower prices from them, and I keep my margins small to encourage people to buy all year round. I know I canā€™t compete effectively with the big retailers, so I consider it pointless trying. A few extra sales at low/no profit isnā€™t going to help grow my business if itā€™s targeting the wrong market - I prefer to sell to buyers who arenā€™t looking for a bargain, but who instead appreciate that handmade is special enough to pay the price Iā€™m asking.

4 Likes

Well I suppose the proof is in the pudding, so hands up all those who made extra sales on Friday after dropping their pricesā€¦

I didnā€™t make any sales at any price on Black Friday which was fine by me - I sold lots at full price all weekend at a physical craft fair :smile:

2 Likes

So far itā€™s been a Fair Friday, a So So Saturday, and a Cyber Sunday. It went mad for sales for me yesterday :slight_smile: Actually, the whole weekend has been pretty good, to be honest. Iā€™ve got an absolute ton of work for this week now. And, no, I didnā€™t reduce my prices at all.

I didnā€™t do any sale items neither did I sell any thing at the weekend however Iā€™ve just received a sale, the first for December so after a rotten week this has put a smile on my face.

I had a crazy awesome weekend. Yesterday was the busiest day Iā€™ve had since Iā€™ve been in business. I didnā€™t do any discounting.

Probably annoyed the people behind me in the post office queue this morning because I had two enormous bags full of packages to send!

1 Like

I had to ask my despatch clerk (Bob) to help with my packages today as, if Iā€™m packing more than 4 at a time I panic in case the labels go on the wrong parcels. So yes been a good weekend for me and no discounting.
Correction - I let a customer at the Victorian market on Friday have 2 Ā£11 suncatchers for Ā£20 but only because he was very nice and nothing whatsoever with Black.)

Interestingly I call ā€˜Christmas timeā€™ Yuletide! and consider this the traditional name for it, especially given Iā€™m Pagan and not Christian! I love ā€˜Holiday Seasonā€™ too and ā€˜Holidayā€™ actually translates to ā€˜Holy Dayā€™ , which given ā€˜Christmasā€™ - or ā€™ Christ Massā€™ celebrates the birth of Christ in the Christian calendar, is a holy day, would see this as perfectly logical!..I donā€™t realy care what it is called ; it is a time of year that reminds us of peace and goodwill - no matter what our religion, race or the country we come from.

As for discounting - I personally donā€™t do it as my product range is small and my business model is too complex to explain! Mx

2 Likes

yah another sale just came in I did a little happy dance :slight_smile:

Well, Iā€™ve just packaged off my Black Friday rush ofā€¦one order :slight_smile:

Sarah x