Black Friday promotions

Not really Camilla - I think you’re doing ALL sellers on here a dis-service by encouraging buyers to wait until the end of November to buy our goods, in the hope we’ll slash our prices and they’ll pick up some bargains. They’ll just expect it every year and will assume we all normally over-price our work. Thanks.

10 Likes

I think it is a good idea and I am going to give it a go! I will be offering 15% discount. I reopened my shop just a few days ago and it might help me to get some exposure, hope by then to have listed at least 50 products. Thanks Camilla!

I would never have even considered that Black Friday applies to the items on Folksy- I always associate it with big old non stop sale Sofa shops and chains like Next .

Also, having just submitted my tax return,it’s very fresh in my mind that my profits are slender enough as it is.

4 Likes

I’ll be taking part, @folksycontent can you let me know does the code have to be BLACKFRIDAY for everyone?

I’ll be offering 10% off, I can’t push to 20% but I want to offer something :slight_smile:

A very good point. I have a market on Black Friday night itself.

I took part in black friday promotions last year across all my online shops and found it a good source of extra Christmas orders. I took plenty of orders before and after so I don’t think people were put off buying at full price. I’ll be offering 30% off everything in my store.

1 Like

I’m in agreement with those who are disappointed that Folksy are promoting this sort of ‘event’.

The handmade market is not a bargain market.

This is bandwagon jumping at it’s finest and it makes no sense. The UK has no need to celebrate the US’s Thanksgiving holiday … so what is the point of this weekend?

We have a longer run up to Christmas here in the UK and should be concentrating on that instead.

9 Likes

Hi Camilla,

I would like to take part in Black Friday promotions. I will be offering a 20% discount, hopefully this will bring in a few sales before christmas :grinning:
https://folksy.com/shops/headnhart

1 Like

It’s not for me, but if others want to do it that’s up to them. Others offer discounts for other events happening throughout the calendar year; I myself offer free p&p, and we all as individual designer/makers need to have the freedom to do what we feel works for our own businesses (after all we are aware of our own profit margins and what we can offer). If Folksy feel that promoting Black Friday will help drive buyers to their site and to those shop owners who wish to take part, then that’s up to them as a business, (same as it is for us).

As I say, not for me, but if others incl Folksy want to take advantage of it, then I’m OK with that.

6 Likes

Hello,

As this is an opt in or opt out promotion you have the choice whether you want to be part of it or not. As I’m new to Folksy and trying to generate interest and sales as a new company I would love the opportunity to be part of this promotion and would like to offer 20% at my shop: www.folksy.com/shops/hollieeccles

Will be uploading lots more designs in preparation over the next few days! :slight_smile: xx

1 Like

Hi Camilla, I understand this isn’t for everyone but I’d like to take part myself please.
I’ll be offering 20% - thank you. https://folksy.com/shops/BilletDoux

Hollie I just looked at your lovely shop and popped through to your Facebook page. Could I suggest that an even better way of getting traffic to your Folksy shop here would be to a link to it on your Facebook page - I can only see an E…y link.
xx

1 Like

I’ll be offering a 20% discount in my shop https://folksy.com/shops/RachelMaryUK

Hi Joy - Thanks for the tip! Will do now :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well said @JOYSofGLASS

Why must we take on a After Thanksgiving sale when we don’t do Thanksgiving in the UK. Why should we feel pressured into lowering our prices for handmade items either

I can’t stand Americianise was we refer to it in our household.
I will not be taking part even if I could afford to reduce my prices.

2 Likes

Well said Christine @ciesse

This is the trend I foresee happening as well and it’s not good, it’s bad for business.

@folksycontent Does the discount need to run for the whole weekend? I was planning to do a discount on the Friday itself, but not the whole weekend, so I may need to consider my options…

I would like to be included in the gift guide, I will be offering a 30% discount https://folksy.com/shops/sophieluckjones

1 Like

We would like to be considered - we will be offering a 20% BLACKFRIDAY discount.

I really do understand your comments and feelings about Black Friday. I personally hate the buy-buy-buy consumerist message behind it, so we’ll try to make sure we do it well and keep the focus on handmade, quality and the chance to buy something special directly from the maker. I’m looking at it as a chance to direct all the thousands of shoppers who will be online over to your shops and give them better alternatives to all the mass-produced tat out there.

To answer your other questions, you can just run it on the Friday if you’re happier with that @maram - I’ll make a note to take your items out of the guide on Saturday.

You can just tag a few of your items @silverbirchstudio rather than everything - it’s just to help shoppers (and me!) find them. The discount does have to be shop-wide though because we can’t currently offer discount codes for selected items. I hope that helps. Also, if you need any help with Twitter, just shout, or maybe start a thread on here and ask other sellers for their tips?

If everyone can use the code BLACKFRIDAY it makes it much easier for shoppers @talkofthetownparties - it’s also easier for us if we can tell everyone one code rather than lots of different ones. And 10% is great. I totally understand that 20% is asking a lot so whatever your profit margins allow and you feel comfortable with.

11 Likes