Changes to the homepage

Not been negative , but I always liked to see who had sold what and used to go on their site to love their items, plus buying as well.
I don’t mind changes but they are not always for the best.

3 Likes

So glad that other people like the themed idea :grin: Hope you can get it to work Doug

2 Likes

Really great that you’re trying out new ideas - I like it.

Could I suggest making the margin between listings smaller so that we could have 5 in a row? And then make each section just one row instead of two?

When I load the front page with my wide screen I only see one category: “Favourite Finds”. The rest I have to scroll to see. With the header and category headers taking up so much space I only see 8 listings and it comes across a bit sparse.
Just my penny’s worth. :o)

Oooh that works. Just spotted one of my butterflies in the Popular section so checked my activity log and sure enough someone liked it 13 mnutes ago :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

I actually think that the popular section should be at the top of the page as it is totally random and everyone has a chance of being there.
At the moment, the Folksy Favourites is at the top so only the items that Folksy has chosen for that section will ever show there, which excludes a lot of shops.
Just my thoughts @folksycontent

2 Likes

It’s tricky to know what to place where because everyone has different needs, but what we chose to do is to place the content that converts better (ie sells more), which are the Folksy Favourites and Gift Guides, closer to the top.

The feedback from buyers has been that they want more curated content and for it to be easier for them to find. However, we do also want to show people new things that aren’t curated and shops/pieces that they will like, specific to them, which is why we made the ‘New things from your favourite Shops’ more visible (that view works really really well when you have lots of favourite shops that you love, but we do need to throttle it so you don’t just see items by one seller), added a bigger Popular Now section, and why we’re also adding the new tag themed view @rosesworkshop suggested.

7 Likes

There are just over 600 items in the Folksy Favourites. Bearing in mind that there is often more than 1 item per shop in there it probably represents about 500 shops, out of over 3,000. This means that over 2,500 shops will not have any of there items show on the top section of the page, which is what people see straight away when they log in…I just feel that is very unfair. In the 4+ years I have been on Folksy I have had 1 item in Folksy Favourites that I know of, and if it’s those items that convert better to sales then it’s not going to do much for my sales, or the other 2,500 shops that aren’t in it…:disappointed_relieved:

4 Likes

I agree with Kim if the folksy favourites has the prime position it should include all shops at some point not just a selected few, some shops have not been in the favourites despite being on here many years.may be there could be some sort of loop to include every shop

3 Likes

and that could then accidentally include items from shops which we have all reported as selling non British / non handmade between them being listed and folksy support removing them.
I changed the way I do my photos a long time ago when it became apparent they were not in the style needed for the Favourites. A style such that they all fit in, look reasonable together (given it’s a random selection on show at any time) and don’t stick out like a sore thumb or any other sort of thumb.

I think Folksy have now got such a good balance, far better than of old and really, you can’t please all of the people all of the time.

PS @folksycontent Love the theme for today… and I’m not going to say what it is so everyone will have to go for a look to find out for themselves.

7 Likes

Look what’s just gone live on the homepage, Simone :slight_smile:
Today’s theme = Polar Bears
All randomly selected from items tagged with ‘Polar Bear’.

Just running out to pick up small child from school but will explain how it works when I get back…

And if you refresh…

10 Likes

I don’t agree with the popular right now section being at the top as I think it would give favourtism to the people who use the favourite my shop thread on the forum.
I’m all for supporting each others shops but as mostly the same people post in this thread each day then surely the popular right now section would be filled with the same people every day.
I prefer to favourite items I like and hopefully other people like my items enough to like them too.

5 Likes

Love the theme of the day section, I think this will give a wide variety of items and give all the shops a good chance of being seen. Well done x

Just adding that I’ve seen lots of great shops that I’ve never come across before :slight_smile:

1 Like

Love the ‘theme of the day’ bit of the homepage and feel like I am seeing alot more different items in the Folksy favourites now also :heart_eyes: well done Folksy!!

2 Likes

I think one good thing about Folksy Favourites being at the top (and why it won’t include all sellers), is because Folksy will be picking items that have good quality thumbnails (bright, clear, no important parts cropped off), and these sorts of images being the first thing shoppers see is going to give a better impression of what’s on sale here… it’s going to be more eye catching and make buyers want to look further.

There are items on the site which I’m sure are great quality and well made, but unfortunately have pretty poor photos (really dark, too blurry to see any detail properly…) which aren’t going to encourage people to buy from them because it’s hard to see what the items really look like. I understand for some people it may be the best they can do, and they shouldn’t be excluded because they’re not a master photographer… but I can also understand why Folksy might not want these to be people’s first impression of the site.
Unfortunately this can also come across as favouritism, because you might pick 4 items from one shop just because they have great photos that you know are going to grab people’s attention, and then none from another because they’re all too blurry (even if you love the items).

But I love the new theme section! (so glad you made the suggestion, @rosesworkshop). I hope it starts converting well so it can go right to the top!

8 Likes

The tag of the day section is WONDERFUL!!! @rosesworkshop thank you for having this genius idea, it looks absolutely brilliant.

I’m afraid I’m with the others who believe the Folksy Favourites section is perfectly positioned as the first thing people hit when they reach the site. I’m lucky enough to be one of the fortunate folks who have been featured sellers and also had a few items in folksy favourites over the years, and I still haven’t hit 50 sales, so it’s not an automatic free pass to massive sales volumes, I can assure you. I wish it was!

5 Likes

Thank you folksy there is a lot more selection of shops in the favourites
Love the polar bear themed tags

I’m really pleased you all seem to like the new Theme section. Just to let you know it will usually change daily, with the exception of tomorrow when it will still be polar bears as that only went live this afternoon so we thought we’d give it an extra day. We’re going to set the tags for the next 13 days or so to tie in with the 12 Days of Folksy but after that we’ll ask everyone for their ideas here and in the Clubhouse and then announce the upcoming tags at the beginning of every week so you can plan and add tags to your relevant products (please do make sure you only tag relevant products… if it gets abused we’ll have to change how it works).

I’ll write a blog post about the new feature and how it’s going to work when I have a minute!

10 Likes

Oh my gosh…I wasn’t sure at first but have just logged onto the new front page tonight and I love it.

I love the Folksy favourites at the top and the new theme section is fab (I’ve just purchased something from a shop that I hadn’t seen before)

It looks so lovely and neat and it’s really eye catching - well done @FolksyStaff - you deserve an extra big slice of chocolate cake for all your hard work! (and maybe some gin too!)

4 Likes

I think this might be our Christmas pressie from @folksycontent :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Love, love, love it!
Well done @folksycontent @dougfolksy for getting this in place so quickly.

Now we just need to keep bombarding you with themes.

2 Likes