Could dressmakers please advise me? (Pencil skirts)

I have lots of fabric that I would like to offer for sale as skirt lengths, but from the research I’ve done, I’m struggling to decide what a ‘skirt length’ is! Most of the fabric is 150cm wide and my patterns for pencil skirts vary in requirements from 80cm to 110cm. Lengths for sale on e-bay vary considerably too, although it seems 90cm or 1 yard is popular. I could offer different lengths , but I was just trying to keep things simple. Any thoughts please?

Amanda xxx

I am very short ( 5 foot nothing) so a skirt length for me will be different than for some one else, actually everybody else LOL. Why don’t you just offer your fabric in metre lengths with the option to buy 3/4 of a metre say or 1 1/2 metres (if you can work out a price ) then you should cover all eventualities and that is how fabric shops offer their goods.

:open_mouth: Leahrose! That’s not VERY short! 2 out of 3 of us on this thread are 5’ …therefore …it must be the NORM! :smiley:

150 cm is wide so is great; you could offer the fabric by the metre (ie 10 cm intervals) - and risk what is left. Alternatively, just sell 1 m lengths and let the buyer decide what to do with it.

What kind of weight is it, btw?

Good luck with your sales.

1 Like

Thank you both for replies. Ms Cup Cake, here is a link to one of my e-bay listings if you would like to have a look.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/191198415570?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649I went with skirt lengths in the end on advice from daughter whose pals all seem to be making pencil skirts at the moment, but if I don’t get any interest, I will try metres at a later date. The other problem I’ve had is taking decent photos, it’s hard to get a good representation of the colours. I know they will vary on different monitors but I’m finding it hard to get even close on mine!
I think I am much better at buying fabric than selling it!

1 Like