Craft light with magnifying glass

Hi,
I’m sure lots of you must have one of these combined magnifying glass / craft lights… I’d love a recommendation for one to buy - not too expensive! - or even a warning about what not too buy! Do you have one that you love or one that isn’t as good as it promised to be? Thank so much!
Dorothy

Dorothy one of these is on my Christmas list so I would be very interested to here what others think too :slight_smile:

Now that I paint in miniature so much I think one of these would be great. I want one that attached to the desk for my studio.

I haven’t done much research as hubby is getting it for me so I’m leaving that to him :slight_smile:

1 Like

My brother got me one for my birthday a few years ago and I love it. Great for lots of things I use it for when I have my photo tent up, when its dark (of course) and when needing to see small things.

I love it perfect at this time of year.

1 Like

I have one , but rarely ever use the magnifying lens part as I need to get it quite close to get it in focus and the bulb is so hot I’m in danger of burning my hands, or bashing the day light bulb with my tools. Maybe mine was a cheap one - can’t remember where it came from now. If they do them with LED bulbs that might be cooler.

I have now ended up using a magnifying visor , and have an angle poise daylight strip lamp. That works really well.

1 Like

Mine was a gift so I don’t know where it came from. As with Deborah, it is quite hot. New LED version will be the thing to look out for.

1 Like

Hi, we had a cheap one of these, which was surprisingly good!
I’d recommend going for a newer version, with a “daylight” LED light, if you can. That helps with colour-matching and viewing in winter and when it’s dark. Also it may help you to avoid headaches - some colours of light can be a bit harsh.
LED lights are cheaper to run, than the fluorescent bulbs and they don’t get hot, which helps. I have a daylight lamp (fluorescent bulb) by my desk, which I often turn off after a while, because it’s so hot that I start to get fried!

Try Amazon, as that’s where I found my lamp and it was a good price.

1 Like

I got mine at cooksons - http://www.cooksongold.com/Jewellery-Tools/Compact-Flexineck-Lamp-prcode-997-1408. It does the job and in my chilly wee studio I quite enjoy the extra bit of heat it gives off! :slight_smile: x

1 Like

This may not be a lot of help but I bought one from a stand at a craft show 2or 3 years ago and is going strong it is really good but unfortunately it is unavailable on Amazon ,here is the link.http://www.amazon.co.uk/Magnifying-Virtually-Compartment-Polishing-TRANSPORTATION/dp/B001ILHSGO
There is a phone no. on the light which you could try, it might be the people I bought from, it is about 50 quid, so quite pricey but very good. 01502 587595, their website was www.craftlights.co.uk, but I think unavailable.

Paul

1 Like

Thanks for all your suggestions. I’ll have a look online at the places that have been suggested. Thanks!

I don’t know if this will help, but I got mine - LED daylight one, at Lidl of all places. It was £14.99 I think and is fantastic quality. They have them in from time to time, so it might be worth a look.

Jacqueline x

2 Likes

I have the same one as Tartan Tree and find it very useful - although I have to remember to take my glasses off when I’m using the magnifier! Not quite as good as daylight for matching stones, but pretty good nevertheless. Mine was a Christmas present last year, so I don’t know where it came from (unless I sent my sister a link to Cooksons!)

1 Like

Just a further note - I was in Hobbycraft this evening and they had quite a nice little magnifying glass light, on a small stand, for £20. No idea if it’s any good, but the price is good.

Lizzie

1 Like

Hi, I bought one from ebay for £8 but other sellers list the same one as low as £5. It’s has a flexible arm to the magnifying glass with a battery powered LED light. It also comes with what they call an extra hand, it’s two little clamps that can hold a chain for you. In addition, yes there is more lol it has a stand to hold a soldering tool. Yes for the price it’s excellent value and I have not had to replace the batteries yet after a few months use. I simply typed magnifying glass with light in ebays search and it came up. I’m new here so I don’t know if you are allowed to post links or pictures so I haven’t. But if you know I can and are interested I can definitely link it for you.

I’ve seen another person post a link so I suppose it’s ok, fingers crossed! Also I should add you do not have to have the soldering stand or free hands attached you can use it solely as a free standing magnifying glass with LED light.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LED-SOLDERING-IRON-STAND-HELPING-HANDS-MAGNIFYING-GLASS-MAGNIFIER-CROCODILE-CLIP-/360805780980?pt=UK_Home_Garden_PowerTools_SM&hash=item5401b34df4