Customs Labels

I’m new to all of this. I’ve posted internationally before so I’m familiar with customs labels - but not as a seller.

Initial advice from customs seems to indicate I should mark any goods for which I’ve received payment as “commercial” and that I would need an EORI number. I’m not yet VAT registered as I haven’t made 1k yet. (I’ve also researched this).

Looking for advice! At this stage I’m only needing to send a £30 pair of hoop earrings. I’m also wondering at what value import duties kick in for the buyer?

Thanks!

I have stopped selling abroad since lockdown because of all the new rules about posting but I did get an EORI number in case. I am not VAT registered and you don’t have to be to get a number.
Here’s a link Get an EORI number: Who needs an EORI - GOV.UK

You need to register for VAT if your annual turnover is or is expected to be £85,000 or more. You need to register with HMRC as a trader once you reach sales of £1,000.

Each country sets its own customs levels; for gifts coming into the UK it’s £39, not sure for commercial. I think for commercial to the USA it’s $100 but things are so complicated now I decided not to ship overseas. I don’t want my customers to get done for import taxes and I don’t want to have to pay export taxes! And then Germany is a whole other case, with their recycling rules.

The value at which import duties kick in varies from country to country. For example USA is 800 us dollars whilst for canada its 20 canadian dollars. Where are the earrings going to?

Here’s where to find the tariff code - it’ll depend what the earrings are made of : Trade Tariff: look up commodity codes, duty and VAT rates - GOV.UK

ETA and if the package is going to an EU country you may need to sign up to a packaging recycling scheme - the main reason I no longer ship to the EU - this website has loads of info New EU packaging regulation: what does it mean for e-commerce? – ecosistant

1 Like

@kelpieshorefinds hi, You don’t need to pay vat to have an EORI number. I will never earn enough or even a fraction towards registering for Vat lol but I am registered with HMRC as a business and did so on the first day of trading, kept all records needed and filed year end with them, you can register before reaching the IK if you need it for the trading number.
You need the EORI number for sending internationally and tariff numbers for your items.
I have sent smaller priced items such as patterns, kits and lètterbox gifts as well as my larger items internationally. I also currently don’t sell to the Eu though due to the packaging recycling scheme that Looney Spoons mentioned.