Folksy Ltd

Designing v making

I haven’t listed anything new in my shop for a few weeks as I seem to have loads of projects on the go and nothing is getting finished. The problem is, I’ve got so many new design ideas that I start something and do all the exciting bit of choosing the fabric and starting the design and then it gets to the stage where it needs sewing together and my next design idea is so much more of an exciting prospect! I now have loads of unfinished projects and still keep wanting to press on with new ideas. Does anyone else find that they do this or is it just me?!

2 Likes

I’m a bit different in that I design my cards on the computer but I have lots of ideas constantly on the go at different stages. Some are still being sketched out, some are half finished and some are nearly done but I’m not quite happy and can’t think what to do to make them completely finished! Then the orders (I make my cards personalised to order) keep coming and I seem to get nothing new listed for ages. I feel your pain!

1 Like

Oh yes. It’s the knitting a whole sweater and never sewing it together syndrome, I’ve suffered from that all my life! New ideas are always the most exciting and finishing-off-the-making can be surprisingly tedious. Although very satisfying when I finally make myself sit down and finish a whole load of stuff all at once.

But then there is the getting-it-photographed part where the process is likely to stall again… it’s a wonder anything ever makes it into my shop at all!

3 Likes

Yes I’m the same and have to be really strict with myself - I have a box of half finished projects and if I want to start something new I won’t allow myself to do so until I have done at least x amount of mins/hrs working on something from my box. Also at the moment I am challenging myself not to start any new projects unless they can be completed without the need to buy yet more stock, I know there is plenty I can make with what I have at the moment! And as Helen @HelenSmith it is immensely satisfying to finally finish things off even if it doesn’t seem so beforehand :smile:

2 Likes

Ah yes - the photography! I’ve actually made myself finish a project this evening and yet I can’t list it yet as I have to do all the photography first! I too am wondering how I’ve ever actually managed to list anything. :joy: I’m glad it’s not just me who does this!

1 Like

I get that as well. But I have rule I go by.

Never have more than 3 projects on the go (WIPs) works in progress, for my shop at anyone time.

If I have another idea it goes into my book to make once I’ve finished something.

I also have three personal WIP on the go but one has to be finished before another can be added to that list either.

Otherwise nothing would ever get finished and be put into my shop.

oh yes and at this time of the year I’ve craft exchanges on the go on 2 different craft forums

Here’s the one sent out a few days ago

and the forum I’m staff on I’m running another crafting exchange not just taking part.

So yes I have to have my rules otherwise nothing would ever get finished.

1 Like

I do this too. Quite often I’ll get an idea in my head, I’ll make a ‘prototype’ and move on to something else. Sometimes the idea of sitting down and creating multiple versions of something seems daunting and monotonous so it puts me off. I have tried to combat this recently, and have done quite well but I do still flit from one idea to another… this is why I always seem to have multiple paintings on the go at the same time.

1 Like

I always seem to have loads of items on the go, then a customer comes up with a request and everything else gets put to one side. I have several bottlenecks the worse is waiting to be dyed and then dried. There is a limit to how much I can dye at one time so there is natural delay as I wait for the items to dry and that is always the time I want to complete that particular item. The back burner has so many items on it if I just worked on them I could keep going for at least 6 months and that’s without any new ideas or custom orders.

1 Like

@PocketfulCreations Im the same I have loads of things on the go. Currently Im waiting for 20 beads form China for a project, Im excited to get them but I have other project now to be getting on with that have taken over. I think I prefer the process of designing, finding the right bits, finding bargain price components etc

2 Likes

Well it’s a relief to discover that my dilemma is shared by many others :smile: I guess I just need to find more self-discipline and not allow myself to keep putting things to one side once they’ve passed the “exciting” stage!

1 Like

For those of you who (like me) suffer with the inability to finish off projects, especially the final photographing and listing bit… I finally listed something today that had spent weeks in the ‘get round to making this’ pile and then another week or so in the ‘waiting to photograph’ pile and a few days in the ‘hurry up and list this’ pile only to sell in under 12 hours with no promotion on my part. I shall use this as a sign and actually hurry up and finish listing all the things in that particular pile. I know, I know, if only it was always that easy.
Good luck with finishing all those projects.
Sasha

3 Likes

Despite having many unfinished projects - the one thing I always complete are my scarves mainly because the only way I can get a space that is large enough for me to lay them out is by laying a couple of boards across my kitchen counters and cooker which means unless I get it finished no one can eat! Can still take a while before I get them photographed and listed though :smile:

1 Like

I’ve FINALLY finished one of my projects and photographed and listed it!!! Here it is:

https://folksy.com/items/6700170-Russian-doll-stacking-toiletry-cosmetic-bags-and-purse-gift-set

1 Like

Gosh yes I definitely find that! I feel I could stock an entire shop with my ideas if only I could get round to making them… The making, although good fun, is the bit where the excitement slides and you’re left with bits that don’t work or you find its too tricky. Or life just gets in the way and you forget all about it! Hey ho! Makes you wonder what the world could have produced if everyone fulfilled all their ideas.

1 Like

Lol it’s the life isn’t it, shows how busy we all are.
Design books with projects to do, several works in progress, half finished items, items waiting for hallmarking, items waiting for photographing, I still have items waiting to list lol, all keeps the mind active :slight_smile:

1 Like

These are very nice ideas shared over here. I like designing things in an innovative way.