Do you have crochet skills?

I have always loved knitting and really couldn’t get the hang of crochet but about 3 weeks ago I thought I would have another go. I got my netbook and got an american video off You Tube. It was brilliant. Showed you how to hold the needle and you can pause it at any time. I am now into granny squares and using my time whilst watching tv creating !!! Good luck. Carol x

Hi. I taught myself to crochet when I was about nine. Patterns can be confusing. Stick to uk abbreviations until you can translate. I find speaking in full helps and writing down diagrams is also useful. See if you can find anyone to buddy up with, two minds can be better than one. Good luck.
Sandra

I learnt some basic crochet technique from an e-tutorial from the The Amazings website (now sadly unavailable). I think watching someone actually form the stitches and being able to replay the movements time and again really helped. I’m not quite up to following a complex pattern but like Amanda I have more fun with freeform and find I am able to create something interesting in a way I have never managed to do with my equally-meagre knitting skills. Beware though, crochet can be addictive :wink: Alison

Everything i know about crochet i learnt from youtube. There are so many amazing tutorials on there. 2 weeks after i bought my first load of wool/yarn i made pillowcases and a gorgeous rug for my mum’s living room from tutorials. Also a couple of dresses for my younger sister. The Crochet Crowd channel is really good and has some amazing patterns to get a hang on. Once i was confident enough with what i was making i began to write my own patterns and creating my own bits and bobs. Yes crochet is highly addictive, i really do have to set myself a reminder on my phone to eat and drink as once i get started that is it lol

Definitely have a look around on YouTube - there are excellent tutorials there.

Two tips I always offer to beginners:

1. Tension is everything. Practice making squares, either granny squares, or plain row after row of trebles. As your tension improves, your crochet will improve (and you can use them as dishcloths, which might make a change from cat toys…)

2. Use a hook with a flat bit in the middle for your thumb to rest on. This will help whichever way you hold your hook. The bamboo ones look lovely, but when you’re a beginner, it can be a bit of a hassle keeping the hook facing the right way. If you’ve got a hook with a flat bit, you don’t even have to think about it.

Don’t forget to give your hand a rest. If you’re new to it, the action will be unfamiliar and if you’ve got an achy hand the next day, it’ll be a miserable experience.

Good luck!

1 Like

I make a massive blanket using one stitch when I was much younger. More recently I have used you tube to expand my repetoire, so I can make more than a granny square.

I would suggest starting with granny squares. Have you tried a local knitting or crochet club, they are always happy to see new members and are generally happy to lend a hand.

Wow, such much help. Thank you all! There is a knitting club every month at my local chocolate shop, so I think I’ll start going there. Plus there I’ll have the bonus distraction of eating truffles if I get frustrated. Do you think they might suspect my motives if I leave my hooks at home?

1 Like