Does anyone do mystery shopping or surveys?

I think a lot of us on here don’t have a “proper” job and are trying to make a bit of pocket money from home, so I was wondering if anyone had followed up an ad for mystery shopping or surveys?
If so, is it profitable or more trouble than it’s worth?

I tried the surveys, but they are time consuming for little return. I found that you had to be really quick to respond too - if you didn’t start filling one in literally as soon as you got the email you would end up spending up to 20 minutes (they were usually 10 - 30 minutes for completion) and find that they already had their quota of replies and you got nothing and had wasted your time.

2 Likes

Thanks, Sara. That’s just the sort of thing I thought might happen, must be very frustrating.

I knew someone who used to do it but I don’t think she actually earned money from it, it was more like she got to take a friend out for lunch with all expenses paid, things like that. It would be interesting to hear if anyone has earned any money from mystery shopper.

I earn extra money from invigilating exams at our local school. I did it for years where I used to live and am now at a brand new academy within a few minutes walk from home. It’s not bad pay and you are only needed for 5 or 6 weeks a year (depending on their set up) and then only a few hours at a time.

2 Likes

Like Plumporridge I earn extra money by invigilating at my local sixth form, I do more weeks and hours than she mentioned (we have both GSCEs and A levels, mocks and resits) but they ask for availability and if you don’t want to work certain days you can specify that. Some of the other invigilators do it to earn money to cover their golf green fees for the year and then don’t work Wednesdays as that is golf day!
My cousin did mystery shopper for a while but again as Plumporridge said she got stuff for free and any expenses covered rather than pay.

1 Like

Sasha, that is classic about the golf days, lol. You have to love invigilators!

2 Likes

I found that too!

2 Likes

Quite a few years ago when the children were small I was a paid telephone mystery shopper checking on insurance companies and health clubs. Although the money wasn’t great it worked ok for me at that time. Can’t remember the name of the company but I believe they moved to somewhere in Devon. The reason I left in the end was because I didn’t feel happy with pretending to be other people in different scenario’s, just seemed a bit weird but was quite funny. :slight_smile:

1 Like