Does anyone share my phobia of hairdressers?

Back from the wedding! Thanks for all your good wishes! I managed to get my hair looking nice by wetting and blow-drying it at the last minute and choking myself with hairspray. It must have looked OK because I got flirted with by a very old drunken Welshman (even though I was with my OH). At my age, that’s as good as it gets :blush:
I think perhaps I would have looked just as stunning (!) with a quick free trim from my daughter…

2 Likes

I don’t think mine is a fear of having the scissors near my hair, but of the bad haircuts I have received. My last salon cut was a nightmare. The place was recommended by a friend who said they do great work. Well the character who cut my hair was rude. He yanked my hair when he tried to comb it, jerked my head around, cut the top layers too short, used a razor on my hair when I specifically asked him not too before he even started. I asked him to please stop, he ignored me, the second time I asked him to stop, he screamed at me, “you don’t tell me how to cut hair”! The bill came to about $30 more than I expected. I paid it with a tip, which I regret doing. I went to my car looked in the mirror and cried. I went close to a year before I got it cut again, and I had my new boyfriend, now husband, trim my hair. He did a great job and he been the only one who cuts my hair since. Free haircuts that always look great :)blush:

I hate that it always seems to take so long. I have really thick hair and once my mum, sister and myself all went to the same salon and got our hair styled by the same hairdresser. I went first and got a wash, cut and was handed over to a trainee for the blow drying and straightening. My mum and sister were finished and waiting having coffee and I was still in the chair 2 hrs later. Hate going.:unamused:

Tomorrow I will force myself out of the door to the hairdressers. If I don’t the grandchidlren may comment that my hair has gone white - as my roots are showing at the front :slight_smile:
If I’m really lucky I’ll look up from my book in time to tell Roy Not to spray anything at all on my hair otherwise I will have to go home with it sticking out all over my head in weird swirls and spikes, hoping not to meet anyone I know on the way back to the car.
If I could avoid these appointments I would but this is one thing I really can’t do myself.
Never mind it will be back to normal on Friday morning once I’ve showered and brushed it back into the way I like it !

1 Like

Well I must be about the only one keeping hairdressers in business. I go every six weeks and love the experience. Before I moved to the Midlands I had the same hairdresser over a 15 year period and never came out with the same style, he always made a real effort.

My present hairdresser is lovely and as I have curly hair, she makes the most of my curls instead of straightening it out, like I have had at some hairdressers (I think my hair is wavy, so why try to make it straight).
As regards tipping, I tip everybody, hairdressers, waiters, taxi drivers, dustbin men (they have a horrible job). I do it because I like to appreciate their work/service. I always tip 10% of the bill, it’s just something I have always done.

1 Like

Well I made it. Spent two hours turning from 50% white back to light brown and got trimmed so I can see to type this again.
Had to ask for an extra inch off the bottom otherwise I would have a mullet style (always feel I must apologise if I need it adjusting ! ). Hurried to the car as, as usual my fringe was all brushed up off my face but I soon had it back under control once I got it home and brushed it forward again.
It will be fine once I’ve washed it and styled it “my style” in the morning and it only cost me £73. Did I say £73 ?
Good job I only get it coloured twice a year and live with white roots between times.

PS: Just read this to Bob. “£73” he said. Ooops forgot I hadn’t mentioned that !

5 Likes

I’m 69… When I was 15. I had the Beatle hair cut and life was great, until one Saturday morning about 11am. My father took me to the barbers as a punishment for some misdemeanour, cant remember it must have been something serious. The barber was instructed to give me a short back and sides. Tears were streaming down my cheeks for the duration of that haircut ! I swore then, while sitting there I would never enter a barber’s shop again. AND I haven’t and never will.
Incidentally i had it long as a young student, became a Psychiatric Nurse had it long for 10yrs or so. Now I look in the mirror and see someone with a “Beatle Hair cut” Funny ole life.
Happy Days fellow crafter.

2 Likes

Hmmm I would dearly like to visit mine. If I don’t get a trim soon I won’e be able to see under my fringe to drive to the hairdressers to get one. Last two weeks I’ve planned a visit but car decided it needed to have a new DPF (don’t ask, just say Expensive) andwas stuck in the garage for 10 days while my hair has continued to grow and grow.
Got a market tomorrow and may not be able to see my customers -:slight_smile:

I’ve been cutting my own (long) hair for many years. Once in a blue moon I go for an expert trim at a hairdressers and enjoy being pampered as it’s an unusual event!
I always cut my children’s hair too but annoyingly, my son still asks for a trim when he visits - he’s 34! I’m refusing to do it now cos he can afford to go to the barbers and I’ve got better things to do with my time. Kids eh :roll_eyes:

I might be two years late joining the party but what a lovely thread. I feel so much better after reading it I thought it was only me but good to read I am in great company. I managed to find a lovely hairdresser in Falmouth but we have recently moved to Burnham on Sea to be nearer to our lovely family and I have had to start again. My hair has no style left in it and closely resembles a mop so I was very brave and have made an appointment for a haircut next week at a hairdressers that was recommended for the ‘older lady’ with reasonable prices. I also have difficulty explaining what I want to new hairdressers so I will see next week what it turns out like. Hope it’s a :+1:

2 Likes

Interesting to read this, Before, It always felt like an invasion of my personal space if someone cut my hair.

I now go to my local college, as the long straight cut style I have, is a tick for the students NVQ, complete with photos. I have never had a bad cut there, as the students are supervised if needed. They are also concentrating so hard, they don’t talk too much and there’s so much going on with the other students practicing colours and styles, it’s really interesting, I can see all the latest trends. The mirror is handy too so I can watch what’s going on behind me. Pricing is extremely reasonable.
You do have to be patient though, as it usually takes longer as they are still learners.
Now growing my hair long helps a young person get qualified, so I don’t mind going.

2 Likes

How funny to see this thread again! I recently braved the hairdresser again (“how long since your last cut?” “about 2 years” “TWO YEARS!”).This time I went to a little local hairdresser instead of one of the trendy chains, and it was a much more relaxed occasion. The cut was cheap but good enough. I may even go again without waiting 2 more years!

I wonder why there’s a slice of cake next to my name? :slight_smile:

I always hated going to the hairdressers which was why I was glad my daughter decided to be a hairdresser. She has since changed profession but I still get my hair cut for free. I also tell them never to buy me a pamper session etc as I would hate it. I love to do my own nails and now use the bright hair Direction colours. I am pink at the moment but as these fade into other colours they look lovely. Well worth a try for anyone that is grey or going grey. I will be trying the reds next.

I’m posting just to see if I get cake too. Or maybe chocolate ? :slight_smile:

@folksycontent - how come she gets cake and I don’t. ??? :frowning: :frowning: :frowning:

1 Like

It must be your anniversary of joining the forum…

Gosh, it is too! I’ve never noticed this before, is it new or am I just unobservant? :slight_smile: @thesherbetpatch
has one too…

1 Like

Christine, check on the top right corner of your screen for notificactions. Click on your photo to see if there are messages there. Folksy might have one to explain…

Oh, I got a cake too. I checked and I did join this Forum on April 9, 2014. Funny thing is I was just about to make some coffee! Cake will do nicely right now! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I joined 31 March 2014 and I checked and yes I did do a post on that date but somebody must have Eaten My Cake as there’s none on that post :frowning: :frowning:
So I’ve just baked myself a couple :cake: :cake:

4 Likes