E cigarettes

My mum smoked from the age of 9 until 2 years ago (when she was 52) when she was taken into hospital with pneumonia. She smoked in the house, always in the living room. The house smelled awful, the ceiling was yellow, the curtains/blinds/skirting boards all covered in tar. I obviously smelled of smoke as did my younger brother and dad. She smoked about 20 a day but we knew it wasn’t good for us. She refused to go outside and smoke even when we were babies claiming that it was her house so she could do what she wanted. We pleaded with her to stop ever since I could remember but it made no difference.
Our dog got heart disease and died from an enlarged heart- the vet put it down to passive smoking- this still didn’t stop her.
I had asthma as a child- again, made no difference.

I have never smoked- my brother hasn’t nor has my dad. We all think it’s disgusting and incredibly selfish- in terms of the passive part.
She didn’t stop/go outside because it was bad for her family, she simply stopped because of the pneumonia and ending up on a ward with women 20 years older than her on oxygen and with permanent tracheostomy’s yet they still tried to smoke- the fear of her ending up like that is what made her stop.

When e-cigs came out we read the ‘hype’ of it being a ‘healthy’ way to smoke. And wanting the best for our mum we got her to try it- thinking it would ween her off normal cigs and eventually she’d give up. Instead she smoked her normal cigs at home as usual, and when she went out she’d smoke the e-cig- constantly. So I think people need to tread lightly with them.
The problem with there not being strict regulations is the ‘dose’ of nicotine in some of them are incredibly high- much higher than a couple of normal cigs.

As as for the young people/children thing- I work with children aged from 7 to 19- and it’s the flavours that appeal to them. Bubble gum flavour?! Strawberry milkshake flavour? If that’s not appealing to children I don’t know what is. Also- a lot of them who use them have been convinced that they’re a healthy way to smoke. In fact, on our last PSHE day, some of the pupils who use them didn’t even know they were smoking nicotine.

I’m all for people doing whatever they want so long as nothing is passive and causes harm to people who have no choice (I had no choice as a small child to be a passive smoker- my dog had no choice either) but there needs to be much much stricter regulation in place and people need to be fed the truth in terms of what it does to their bodies- I also disagree with ‘sexy’ adverts making it seem ok too. :confused:

1 Like

There was a recent programme where there were some counterfeit ones, claiming to have passed certain safety standards when they hadn’t…apparently they can explode when put on to re charge…
So be careful folks…

I saw that on TV @KBCreations.
We go to a really good shop in town to get my OHs liquids.
He started getting cheap liquids but it made his asthma play up. He was coughing really bad.
But this shop showed him the best sort they know. It’s more expensive but it’s really worked.
He’s gone right down on the nicotine 18mgs -3mgs and he only started at Xmas last year. Not bad really.
His health is so much better now.,he stopped because his dad got diagnosied with COPD and he was so worried that either of us could get it because we are both asthmatic and he had a panic.

Yes you are right - its not just water vapour, there will be residual chemicals in it, not to mention bacteria and viruses!!!

I smoke and have done for years. This month I have decided I am going to stop but I am doing it gradually. If I went cold turkey I would probably end up killing someone plus I am terrified of putting on tons of weight when I am actually trying to lose it. I am using a nicotine replacement thing rather than an e-cig as I don’t want to swap one addiction for another and although they say its healthier than smoking, no doubt in 10 years time they will probably find they are the cause of something bad. Maybe if I got some tablets to help with stress it would be easier to stop and I could take some time of my hated full time job :slight_smile:

1 Like

In summer 2006, as a thank you to my husband for recovering from his bowel cancer despite my having smoked all over him for years and years.
I bought this : http://www.amazon.co.uk/Easyway-Women-Stop-Smoking/dp/184837464X/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1439581081&sr=8-4&keywords=alan+carr+the+easy+way+to+stop+smoking

I was initially thinking in terms of a bit of hypno-therapy but came across the book first so thought I’d give it a try.

You continue to smoke as normal while you read and digest its content knowing that at the end you will have a cigarette which will be your last. As per instructions I read it a second time as I wasn’t qiute ready the first (and we were seeing my smoking companions sister and husband, which would complicate things).,
As soon as we got back from meeting them, I sat outside in the sunshine, read the last chapter, smoked a cigarette, went inside, threw cigarettes and lighter in the bin.
I’ve been a non-smoker since without ever having a single twinge since.

I suspect I am just of the right mindset that the book acted as a therapy in its own right but I remember loving the things it said
eg. Nicotine patches only substitute the desire for the nicotine and don’t remove it or replace it (In fact I smoked quite happily wearing them, when I tried them earlier, so got double the dose !)
eg… As soon as you finish a cigarette the desire for nicotine reduces. If you don’t smoke another it reduces further.
eg. It’s so so much easier not to smoke. I used to be in IT and often on call at night. I would dive to the pub in panic at 10.55 in case I got called and didn’t have enough cigarettes to see me through the night.
etc etc

I’m not in any way being smug here. I found the book suited me. I believe more people have stopped smoking after following the Allen Carr method than those assisted by the NHS which promotes the substitutes (which didn’t work for me)…

I’m just suggesting it’s worth giving the book a try. I saved the cost in my first single day of non smoking and the money I’ve saved since, well, we’ve had some pretty special holidays. : :slight_smile:

2 Likes

My brother tried something like that book, the problem with him is that he’s a very cynical soul so as much as he understood what the book was trying to do it didn’t make him want to stop or cut down in any way… I do think though that if your of the right mindset it will work.

1 Like

I have read the Allen Carr book but it didn’t work the first time. Now that I have decided I want to stop I will read it again and see if it works this time :smile:

1 Like

Alan Carr also writes a book about how to loose weight, both the smoking and weight books worked for my mother in law but the weight one didnt work for me :frowning:

1 Like