English grammar question

(Minerva) #1

Would you kindly confirm…

In UK English, do we use hyphen for the below words:

self employed

full time job

Is there a rule?

(Deborah Jones) #2

I think it goes self-employed, full-time job although it seems full time job is also used.
But I am not certain , as wasn’t educated in UK.

(Roz) #3

I would agree with Deborah although I am no English scholar and it seems anything goes these days. There are no hyphens in Is there a rule! :slight_smile:

4 Likes
(Minerva) #4

The ‘Is there a rule’ was a question about the hyphens rule. Ha ha!
I read your comment to twice to get it :stuck_out_tongue:

I have seen the phrases written in both ways and wasn’t sure if there is a UK or US version.

(Christine Shephard) #5

I would hyphenate self-employed and full-time (there probably is a rule, but I don’t know it) because they just look right with hyphens and wrong without! But a lot of people don’t bother.

Edited:If you really want to know the rules…
“Generally, hyphenate two or more words when they come before a noun they modify and act as a single idea. This is called a compound adjective. When a compound adjective follows a noun, a hyphen may or may not be necessary.”

Hope that’s clear :smile:

3 Likes
(Helen Healey) #6

It’s nice to see people discussing grammar. Not enough people care about it any more. Every morning I drive past a sign that says “You’ve just past the best pub in Stanton”. Shocking! Anyway, back to the original point. I’m not an expert but I agree that self-employed and full-time job should be hyphenated. Roz, @Rozcraftz, you made me chuckle! :smile:

1 Like
(Diane Burton) #7

As clear as mud :slight_smile: too many years since I studied English language to know what half of that means :slight_smile:

(Nykie) #8

You would hyphenate full-time and self-employed. You hyphenate when the two adjectives used before the noun change the meaning of that noun. So full job or time job wouldn’t mean the same as full-time job.

English degree and OCD…

4 Likes
(Minerva) #9

Yeah, I remember now the rule if these kind of words are in front of the noun…but I didn’t know about after the noun.

(Minerva) #10

Oh I do like grammar (and languages and writing)…and there is always soooo much to learn and remember!

Have you come across the books by Caroline Taggart? Such as…
My Grammar and I (or should that be ‘Me’?)
An Apple a Day
I Used to Know That

I have some of these and they are so good and interesting.

(CopperTobi) #11

Hmmmm, hard question for me :slight_smile: Not educated in the UK plus I’m not good in grammar :slight_smile: