Fantastic Fossils - Show us your Fossil Items

I love fossils! Finding them, creating with them and learning about them. They make wonderful gifts in all forms and are fascinating for all ages.

Show case your fossil inspired makes here and lets share the love!

I will start you off with one of my items:

Cast from a genuine fossil Trilobite

Jacqueline x

3 Likes

I sold my fossilised coral necklace in January and haven’t got round to setting the next bit yet. (the next bit is more red/ cream rather than blue/ grey so will look rather different)

1 Like

Not listed on Folksy as it is a commission piece in 18K gold, but thought I would show you anyway

Looking forward to seeing your next fossil coral creation @SashaGarrett
Jacqueline x

7 Likes

Here’s a glass one

4 Likes

I have a Fossil Agate Pendant xx

1 Like

OK…so I’m cheating a bit…but if you love fossils…I bet you’ll love this too…

2 Likes

I have this lovely ocean fossil bracelet

January was quite a fossil sale filled month for me with this commission as well - made with agatised dino poo!

2 Likes
3 Likes

I love fossils!!!

Here are a few of my fossil items.

https://folksy.com/items/3200062-Nipomo-Green-Coral-Fossil-Pendant-with-Sterling-Silver-Bail

Natalie x

1 Like

A little off topic, but as there seems to be a few people that know about fossils in this thread, any idea what this is? Is it a fossil (next to a 5p for scale)? I found it on a Scarborough beach :slight_smile:

Bringing it back on topic, I’ve made a few bird baths with stylised ammonites on :wink:

2 Likes

Hi JoSara - looks like a fossil Bivalve (shell fish) to me. Without seeing it in the hand so to speak, I couldn’t be 100% sure, but looks just like a bivalve to me (I am a bit rusty with my fossils these days) There are 100’s of different species of those. Hope this helps?

Jacqueline x

1 Like

Thanks Jacqueline, that does help.I didn’t even know where to start, so bivalve is perfect. And through the quick bit of research I’ve just done on bivalves in this area, I’ve just discovered the one of the stones in my beach finds collection that I picked up because it looks just like a shell, actually is a shell that’s turned to stone. A complete fossil bivalve from 145 million years ago. Amazing :smiley:

Edited to add the pic of the grey stone bivalve, and some fossil coral, that I also found on a beach up here, that I found out today is around 350 million years old. Got to love the internet :wink:

2 Likes

Just had a thought - rare but there you have it! The fossil could also be a solitary coral fossil. Is it stripy all round or is there a section on the ‘top’ that looks round or flowery perhaps?

Jacqueline x

Ooh, that sounds interesting. Unfortunately there’s a lot of chipped sections on the stone, so that bit I’ve photographed is about all the detail I’ve got on it. Most of the back is missing, although from what there is left there, it looks quite quite plain brown, the stripes seem to only wrap round the sides, not onto the base. Best way I can describe the striping on it is like a fingerprint, some of it loops round and back up again. It is a mystery stone, that’s for sure :wink:

It really does sound like a coral. Do you have a local fossil shop? They could have a look for you.

Jacqueline x

1 Like

I’m not sure if there is a fossil shop round here, Apparently it’s quite a good stretch of coast for finding them, but it’s not as well known for it as the South coast, and I don’t think you get the massive specimens so I don’t know if there is much dedicated to it. I’ve never seen anything on my travels, but I’ll have a look. Thanks for the tip Jacqueline. Jo :smiley:

1 Like

Cast from a fossil Sharks Tooth, found on the South Coast of England

1 Like