Feed back please new to this feel im doing everything wrong

Hello all, I’m new to folksy been on here just over a month, haven’t sold anything yet I’ve had some views but only about 150 in over a month. I’ve just joined twitter, well I hope I’ve done it right. I’m rubbish with social media and don’t have a facebook page or any others. Would appreciate some feedback and advice. How long did it take you all to get your first sell? Where do most of your customers come from facebook etc? I’m thinking perhaps there’s just to much competition in crochet and I’m just not up to the standards of some of the other wonderful crafters on folksy. Perhaps I’m just being to impatient or keen as I like to call it. Any advice would be great, thank -you for reading.

Welcome to Folksy.
Promotion is key to achieving (steady) sales so getting to grips with social media is a must, you can start with one eg twitter and when you are happy with it then you can add another (different people find different social medias work better for them so don’t get too hung up if you just don’t like one of them). It is possible to pick up sales to people just browsing the site but you need to make sure your titles, descriptions and tags are up to scratch - you need to sell the item to the person and make them want it, now is the time to find your thesaurus and get handy with the adjectives (things like soft, snuggly, warm, sumptuous). Your tags need revising to help you be found by the search algorithm. At the moment the listing I’m looking at has
handmade crochet pinkandwhite scarf acrylic yarn
as one of its tags, people are unlikely to use that as a search term so you would be better off splitting it up into crotchet scarf, pink scarf, handmade scarf and adding things like bright scarf, colourful scarf. This blog post should help you polish up your listings

Good luck.

1 Like

Hi Sasha, thank-you for replying and for your advice. Your right I really need to get to grips with the social media side, I’ll do abit of research and see which one to start with. Thanks for the advice on the tags as well I was very unsure what things to put, I’ll take a look at that now, thanks again.

For a while social media will feel like you are talking to yourself. There is masses of info on the blog

Some people just don’t get on with some of them so don’t feel that you have to use every platform out there. The stats on your folksy dashboard give a break down so you can see how well your social media is bringing traffic to your shop (MISC covers quiet a lot including if people have clicked on a link to your shop via a social media app on their phone). It is also worth finding Britishcrafters on social media (here’s their facebook https://www.facebook.com/BritishCrafters) Dottie does daily promotional stuff which can be really useful to get you new followers and traffic to your shop (she shared a post of mine recently and got me 15 new followers and a reach of over 4000 for the post).

1 Like

Thanks Sasha, I find the social media side a bit of a minefield, I love making things but the promotion side I find difficult but think I’m slowly getting there. I’ve took your advice and started adding more tags to my items. I’ll take a look at the link you sent that’s brilliant, thanks again.

Just to cheer you up a bit.
Im on folksy since 2014. Its 2018 and yeah-nothing. Big fat 0.
Sometimes I got few views. But mainly nothing. I think my tags are ok.
Fingers crossed x

I’ve just looked on your shop you have beautiful items. I have just started posting some photos on some of the forum pages and also on pinterest my views have gone up quite a lot, I’m not sure if you do any of those things might be worth a try. It’s strange isn’t obviously lots of people do sell a lot on here and others nothing. As you say fingers crossed.

Hi there, I am a newbie too. Only been on Folksy for a week. I have some experience with Social Media.
There is a search bar at the top of the Twitter and Facebook page. I type hashtag # subjects / descriptive words which relate to my art and craft work to see which ones have a big following. Then when I post I type the hashtag in my tweet / status. So for example if you’ve crocheted a Heart key ring and you mention it on Twitter or Facebook, type and add #ValentinesDay
There are lots of Social Media groups that promote Arts and Crafts as well that you can tag them into your post on the chance of them sharing or replying to your post. To tag them you type @ and their name (no spaces).
I have much to learn as well in this new adventure so any feedback on my page would be appreciated.
Good luck :slight_smile:

Hi, thanks for replying, I am rubbish with social media but think I’m getting better. The forums on here are very good and I’ve been posting some of my items on there and now I’m getting a lot more views. I’ve just looked on your shop you have very beautiful items, I love mosaics. I think patience is one of the things I struggle with but I think that’s the name of the game. Good luck, I hope you get your first sell soon.

1 Like