Fimo - does it go "off"?

I have got 6 x 56g blocks of fimo clay (3 x soft and 3 x effect) that I have just found in the back of a cupboard. I think it is about 1 year old. It is unopened but feels quite hard, is that normal or has it gone off? Just wondered if I could sell it as destash or whether I should just bin it.

Don’t know but I’d be interested in the answer as I bought a set of fimo years ago that is still unused. It’s not for selling but would just be my 6 year old playing with it but am interested if there is a ‘shelf life’!

Put it on a sunny window sill and see if it softens in the heat, if it does its usable and you should be fine to sell it as a destash just put a note about the age. If it doesn’t soften in the warm it can be renewed/ softened by working in baby/ mineral oil but that would require opening the packets so it would then not be suitable for selling on but you could make beads to combine in with your felt ones or buttons to go on your bags.
Hope that’s helpful
Sasha

3 Likes

If it’s a year old it should be fine but then it will depend how old it was when you bought it. The only way to really tell is to try and work with it. There are ways to bring old clay back to life but they are not always worth the effort. Sorry not much help really!

You can always use baby oil to get it back.

I think it does depend on how old it was when you bought it.
There was a shop I used to buy Fimo from, I left the un opened blocks for a few weeks and they where impossible to work with. I think they may have been getting older stock (maybe not intentionally).