Folksy Listing Review - Episode 1 is ready to watch!

We’ve been working on an idea for a while and it’s finally ready! It’s a series of ‘Listing Reviews’ (we’re still looking for a snazzy title, so if you can think of something brilliant to call it, please tell us) where copywriter Martha Moger and I focus on one Folksy listing at a time and look at how that listing could be improved, what keywords could be included and how the title, description and tags can be tweaked, so it’s more likely to be seen and sold.

We wanted to give you concrete examples showing practical things you can do – eg how to find the best keywords for a product and where to use them – as it’s one thing reading advice and another knowing how to apply that to your own shop and listings. We were lucky enough to get permission from Adrienne Honeyman to have a go at one of her listings for our very first episode and you watch see the results here https://vimeo.com/325667139. We’re very grateful to you, Adrienne.

We’ve also written a blog post with a link to the listing and screenshots of the before and after, which you can read here https://blog.folksy.com/2019/03/25/product-listing-review-house-necklace

We’d love to know what you think - if it’s helpful and what else you’d like to know for the next one. And if you fancy volunteering one of your listings for our next episode, give us a shout!

11 Likes

I really like this, thank you - I’ve just been watching the video :slight_smile:

I’ve never really though of clicking on tags within shops to find similar items though: is that just me that hadn’t thought of that? Probably! I love the idea of ‘owning’ a tag, having one that is really pertinent to what you do - although I have no idea how I could do that for myself. Why is it always easier to spot the things that could/should be done in other people’s listings than it is with your own?!?!

I’d be more than happy to put myself forward for a review if you need any more volunteers :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’d be interested to see what you make of either my surfite or bowlerite pieces - they are pretty niche materials that only a few people have heard of so I would be interested to know what I need to do to bring them to a wider audience.

1 Like

Really useful video. I didn’t know you could click on tags either.

1 Like

Just watched the video, I even waved back to you :slight_smile:
I need to implement these ideas into my shop, I probably need to update my about page and maybe look at doing something with the ‘inspiration’ section.
Thanks for this.

1 Like

Great video. It’s so useful to see the theory of SEO used in a real life listing page. I need to work this into my own listings now :slightly_smiling_face:.

2 Likes

Good information but there is so much to remember when listing, it can take the joy out of making. I try to write my listing as though a blind person is searching for an item. Would definitely appreciate feedback on any of my listings

1 Like

Thank you, this is so useful. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Just started watching this and so far so good :slight_smile: Will have to watch the remainder after work. Looks like its going to be very informative and helpful. Something similar on how to present your shop front would be great at some stage - I’m never sure how to order my items. Happy to put my shop and items forward for use :slight_smile:

Thanks again Folksy!

1 Like

I found this really interesting and helpful, particularly thinking about the “searcher intent”, getting into the head of potential customers rather than just using literal keywords that describe items and are possibly too specific for customers to be thinking of. I agree Karen @oothatsnice it does feel that there is so much to think about when listing.

2 Likes

Thank you I would welcome the chance for you to have a look at my listings :blush:

Thank you, this is really helpful @folksycontent .

Could you review my item:

as it is an artwork and so I could replicate the strategies for my other pieces. (Or if I=you wanted to chose any other of my artworks). I rarely get views on the artworks, which suggests people don’t use Folksy for buying art but I know they do, as some of the best selling tips feature artworks and I do occasionally sell an originally, but they are few and far between. So I think it must be the tags etc that mean they are hidden, so any advice would be greatly appreciated. :slight_smile:

WOW! I now need a cup of coffee!! Settle my nerves and write a plan of action.
This has come at just the right time for me, as I had planned to review my pricing and shipping costs after Mother’s Day orders were out.
Now I can review it all, tackling each area/item group at a time. Daunting, but a job that has been overdue for possibly nearly a year!!

Feel free to use me as a guinea pig too!

Many thanks for such valuable input - here’s to the next step,
Suzzie xx

1 Like

This is such a helpful video. Thank you. It’s certainly an area that I need to get to grips with, and I’ve never thought of clicking on tags either. If you need a volunteer I’d be very happy to offer my products.

1 Like

Hi there,
I watched this video a little while back and thought it was great, thank you!
So helpful and filled with useful information; I have so much to learn, but your video has certainly made me think more about my shop as a whole.
I am also happy to volunteer my products :smile:

1 Like

So… I am reviewing my shop review I did 4 weeks ago.
I watched the Folksy Listing Review episode 1, got my notebook out, looked at Uber suggest, and rewrote some of my descriptions and tags. Retook some photos. Reinstated my collections. A good days work, and I felt I had done a good job! I felt my little shop was now equipped with all that it needed to take social media by storm!!
So have I seen any change to my views/sales - no!
I still think the whole process was so worth it, but I am obviously still missing the mark/point.
When is episode 2 coming out, and will it make this minefield easier to navigate? Camilla @folksycontent
Please help!! Suzzie xx :hugs:

1 Like

I don’t think my listings are as far from the mark as the example that was used, but obviously there is a lot to be learnt. I really can’t see me writing an essay for every item I’m selling, and it’s a real strain to think of different wording every time! I was interested to see that words from the “inspiration” part of the listing (because I don’t usually bother with mine) and the shop description can be picked up by search engines, so I’ve been doing some tweaking. I know some of my photos could be improved, but it’s so hard… :neutral_face: