#FolksyHour on Twitter

Love the idea of a guest spot, I found this week’s advice really useful but couldn’t see the advice given to others unfortunately. I also enjoy the creative chat with other folksy folk, I think it’s great as it feels more like a community. Possible topics, favourite item you’ve made or sold.
Item you’d most like to buy on folksy if money was not an issue!
Most challenging make
Favourite colour or colour theme night.
Dare I mention it, pricing? Maybe that’s better on the folksy forum.
Anyway I love #folksyhour and I used to hate social media until I discovered Twitter!

1 Like

What’s on the menu for tonight’s FolksyHour?

Thanks for asking @StephanieGuy!

As the topics have been quite serious recently, I thought tonight could be all about the crafter’s companion ie PETS! Quite a few of the banners people submitted had animal companions in them, so tonight it’s their chance to take centre stage.

We can talk about the animals who keep you company while you make, any animals who feature in your work, if you’ve ever made something for your pet (and made them wear it!) and take a straw poll to see which animal is the crafter’s favourite companion.

What do you think?

3 Likes

Excellent plan! Me and my budgie feather babies will be there, although you might not be able to hear anything above all the tweeting ROFL :joy:

3 Likes

Sounds good @Folksycontent I have no need of pets with 4 children unless you count the fish!

1 Like

I won’t be able to make it to tonights FolksyHour. Its my daughters 14th Birthday so I will be busy looking after family, making sure their cups are refilled and nibbles flowing nicely.
:wink:

Have fun Folks

Karen

1 Like

Oh I can talk all night about my pets, 2 hens and 2 dogs, dog walker by day, crafter by night!

1 Like

Hi everyone!

Tonight’s #FolksyHour is going to be all about Easter. Here are some of the questions we’ll be asking…

• How will you be celebrating Easter this year?
  • Does your family have its own Easter traditions?
  • Has anyone already got their Easter decorations up? Can we have a peek?
  • Does anyone have any links to brilliant Easter tutorials they’ve tried or want to try?
  • As a maker, do you think it’s worth creating seasonal ranges centred around events like Easter?
  • What would you most like to find at the end of your Easter egg hunt?

Please remember to include the #FolksyHour hashtag in all your tweets!

See you tonight at 8pm!

Hopefully be there and share a picture of my Easter bunny lol

Just a quickie to let you know that there’s no #folksyhour tonight. It ate too many eggs and needs a rest, but it will be back next week after the Easter holidays.

1 Like

Tonight’s #folksyhour is all about originality. It’s inspired by something Donna Wilson said on Woman’s Hour last week. Talking about her own business, she said: “You have to find your own handwriting. There’s no point in copying other people. You’ve got to find what’s unique to you.”

So how do you do that? Where do you find your inspiration, how do you come up with ideas, and how do you make sure you’re not copying someone else’s idea?

The questions we’ll be asking are:

• Where do you find your inspiration?
  • Do you think you’ve found your own ‘handwriting’?
  • How can you be sure you haven’t copied someone else’s idea?
  • Do you always try to do something ‘new’ when designing a new piece?
  • How important do you think it is to be original?

If you’re new to Twitter or #FolksyHour and want to know how it works, you can find out more here

We’ve also made a schedule for the upcoming #folksyhour themes, so you can plan ahead and get them in your calendars! Here’s the page with all the topics for the next few weeks and a list of the questions we’ll be asking:

Tonight on #folksyhour we want to know where and how you learnt your craft skills. We’d love you to come. It starts at 8pm on Twitter and you can follow the conversations on the #folksyhour hashtag. Or if you can’t make that, we’d love to hear about your experiences over on this thread here >>

Are you formally trained or self-taught? Maybe you spent time as an apprentice training with another craftsperson, or learned a craft by taking a workshop?

Did formal education give you all the skills you need or is experience the best teacher?

Have you picked up skills through YouTube tutorials or a Craftsy class? Have you ever tried Sketchbook Skool? What do you think are the best resources available online?

I’m sorry to be missing this one. We have 2 Spanish girls staying with us and are taking them out for a pub meal and a walk along the canal tonight.

I was really sad to miss FolksyHour earlier. I just didn’t have time. My daughter needed help with exam revision and then I had an order to finish off.
I will definitely have a read through the Twitter feed whilst munching breakfast tomorrow morning.

Karen :cherry_blossom:

There’s a summary of last night’s #folksyhour here Karen and @StephanieGuy

And you can always add your thoughts to this thread: Where did you learn your craft?

We’d love to know how you learned your craft and any good tutorials or classes you’ve used.

1 Like

Folksy Hour was delighted to find itself underneath Lenny Kravitz’s manhood tonight

*snigger

5 Likes

Arghhhh missed it again!

I missed it too, still packing away. Once I’m moved i’ll definitely be there every Tuesday evening. x

Tonight in #folksyhour we’ve got photography tips from Lyndsey James, founder of the Photocraft Photography School and Photo Boards. So if you’d like any advice on how to take or style your product shots, come along from 8-9pm – and if you’re feeling brave you can even ask Lyndsey for her thoughts on your own products and existing photos.

Just click on the #folksyhour tag over on Twitter to follow the conversation and join in.

1 Like

Hi everyone. It’s the last #folksyhour tonight before it takes a summer break, so it would be lovely to see as many of you there as possible.

David Andrews from AndAtWhatCost is hosting tonight and the topic is:

Craft in the media – what are your favourite shows about making, how do you think craft is presented on TV and in popular culture and what do you want to see?

It starts at 8pm.

1 Like