Gobelin L tapestries

Does anyone out there have knowledge of these printed canvas tapestry kits?

I have a canvas that my late Mother in Law hadn’t quite finished and I’m keen to complete it for her, but there isn’t enough tapestry wool left in a couple of colours and I need to source some more.

The pattern appears to be discontinued and I haven’t been able to find the paper packaging it would originally have had. From what I’ve been able to glean from Google, their kits seem to use DMC tapestry wool, but the colour number codes printed on the canvas edge don’t appear to relate to DMC or Anchor wool colours.

Any insight appreciated! :slightly_smiling_face:

I don’t know about the tapestry but cloudcraft are having a closing down sale and they had loads of tapestry wool when I last looked. Nicole runs the shop and is very friendly, maybe she could help you get the right colours?

I found this, which implies Anchor numbers have changed - might this help?

A lot of them will be probably discontinued, or even changed numbers. Your best bet would be to take the tapestry with you and go to a shop so you can match the colours. Unless the chart does the job and you can find the new numbers, but bear in mind that colours do vary slightly from batch to batch, so even if you get the same number, it might be a different shade x

Hi,

I"d never heard of these but a google search yields some interesting information! I have some old tapestry wool given to me by my Nan many years ago, some of which is DMC. If you know the numbers you need I can have a look and see if I have the ones you’re looking for (although they may have faded over the years so may not be a perfect match).

Good luck!

Cheers Lou

Thanks Bekki - yes, have been buying wool felt from Nicole for years, it’s very sad that she’s closing, isn’t it :slightly_frowning_face: I know that the wools she stocked were to match her felt colours but I’m worried about which tapestry wool it is as well as the colours - have worn out Google with searching for info on their kits. Thanks for the great thought though! :grinning:

1 Like

Thanks Helen, that will be a great help as part of my search! :grinning:

Thanks so much Mina :smiley: You may well be right and I’ll need to find a local shop. I think she may also have further complicated matters by changing out some of the colours that the kit intended although I do have one or two strands of most of the ones she used, so a physical match should be possible.

Thanks so much Lou - that’s so kind of you :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: I hadn’t come across them either although it’s many years since I did a wool tapestry. Amazingly, there is a code printed on the bottom of the canvas that was rolled up where it’s mounted onto the frame and I did find the actual design. Not that this helped greatly as it doesn’t seemed to be stocked online currently.

I think she may also have further complicated matters by changing out some of the colours that the kit intended although I do have one or two strands of most of the ones she used. This is a photo of the canvas colour chart:

The only ones I need are the white, the brown 975 and the yellow colour she seems to have subbed for the beige 782 colour, which will finish the border (the rest is complete). I found a couple of skeins of what looks like a 4ply Anchor wool in the dark blue, so I’m assuming she used Anchor throughout, whichever threads the manufacturers intended! I think I’m going to have to go to a physical shop with the strands I have and find a match that’s close enough.

x

Hi Debbie,

Sorry, as is typical, I don’t have any of the ones you need!

Good luck in your search!

Cheers Lou

1 Like