Handmade magnetic craft / baking / spice storage tins

I am wondering, since sales are extremely slow (non-existant) at the moment. Would anyone be able to give me some tips on what I could do to improve my chances of a sale? I am going to replace the photos as soon as I can.
Would it help if some of the tins came pre-filled with spice for example? Would it help if I offered nice packaging so that people could buy them as gifts?

@EileensCraftStudio I had a go at taking some new photos to try and show the difference between the large and medium tins earlier this week. I’m also trying to improve me photos in general. I had access to the camera in the studio at work this week and it’s really opened my eyes as to how much better using a good quality DSLR camera can be when shooting product shots.

1 Like

Hi there.
Could you sell them as craft storage items, rather than food storage items and target the crafters who need pretty storage?
show them with coloured paperclips/pins/push pins etc in?
crafters are always after ways to store things and may have metal memo boards already which they can be used on.
Also - i think you description and inspiration paragraph may be a bit ‘wordy’.

They are looking good.

I was surprised a set of 5 large only cost £11 have you taken into account your listing fees, paypal fees and folksy commission as well as the cost of materials and your time?

BTW I’ve just pinned your large ones to my July pinterest board :smile:

@SallyandtheFreckles That’s my biggest issue at the moment I think - just who to actually target with these. I think I will have to make 2 separate listings, one for spice and another for craft items. It’s a little annoying that you can’t do product variations on Folksy as I would like to have the large and small versions within the same listing as it’s a waste of money and time to list them as a different item.

A few people have said the description is too wordy. I have already cut it down significantly but if you think it might help then I’ll make an attempt at streamlining it even further.

I’m also going to buy a load of craft items and get some good looking product shots aimed squarely at people who want to store their crafty bit and bobs. Do you know what I should call the item? “Craft storage tins”?

@EileensCraftStudio Thank you very much pinning my item :smile:
As far as costs go I think the price margins are ok. I would like to raise them a little considering how long it takes to make them but at the moment no one is buying them on Folksy and I don’t think raising the price would help with that.

I’m currently thinking of ways to increase the product range. Like people have suggested earlier in this thread I’m looking into bundling them with a piece of metal to make it more obvious that you can stick them anywhere rather than just on the fridge. Does anyone know a good place to buy metal strips that aren’t prohibitively expensive? I’ve been looking into it but I can’t seem to find anywhere that will do them for less than £4-5 each. I’m hoping for something more in the £1.50 - £2 range for a strip of thin steel about 500mm x 40-50mm in size. At the moment I’m doing some tests with some metal rulers that I found for £2 each and they work brilliantly but they’re obviously covered in ruler markings. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Not sure why you’d need to do two separate listings? Just market them as magnetic metal storage tins suitable for a variety of uses including spice storage, small stationary items, craft items etc - one listing covers it all. Then you just need one listing for each size.

1 Like

you can just have various photos showing the various uses - you don’t need separate listings do you?
also there are lots of magentic memo boards for sale everywhere that people already use - can’t u just say “suitable for magentic memo boards” etc ?

you only need 2 listings then - large and small. that’s only 2 listings.

as for people buying them on folksy, you are quite new on here aren’t you? this maybe why u haven’t sold any - perhpas just stick with what you have for the moment maybe.

1 Like

My local hardware shop does metal cut to order and a strip of thin bright mild steel the sort of size you mention would cost ~£1.25 from them - you would need to finish off the edges though. Don’t know if you are in the Cambridgeshire area but they are called Mackays (https://www.mackay.co.uk/sheet-bright-mild-steel-metals-warehouse.html). If you are in a different bit of the country you probably have a similar hardware shop so try looking in the yellow pages but Mackays might do mail order.
Sasha

1 Like

@DandelionsGallery I’ve basically been trying to cover all the bases with one listing but as I’m limited to only 5 photos per listing I’d like to show more photos of all the different uses but perhaps I should just concentrate on getting 5 really nice photos and not worry about showing everything you can store in them.

@SallyandtheFreckles It’s more than I would like to be able to offer them in sets of either 3, 5 or 10 tins and also sell them individually which isn’t really feasible to do at the moment.

Thanks @SashaGarrett unfortunately I’m from Luton so it’s a bit far away but I’ll definitely have a look at Mackays and see if they would offer delivery. I also know of a couple of local hardware stores so I’ll look into that also. I never really thought to do that so thank you very much for the suggestion :smile:

How come those 2 last comments were deleted. Did I do something wrong?

I received my second hand original Sizzix machine that I got cheaply on eBay yesterday. I know it’s very old and the box is deliciously retro but I’m excited to try it out and see what it can do.