Has anyone ever just left their job?

I just wondered if anyone ever just left there “normal” day job? I fancy leaving my work I work on the airlines so the hours are horrid and the boss is a bit awful to.Ive worked there for over 10 years so I fancy a change. I have enough saved and am thinking of opening up my own health shop instead.what would you do?

1 Like

An exciting prospect but sadly not one I’m brave enough to try at the moment but maybe one day …

1 Like

I didn’t just ‘leave’ my ‘normal’ job but after being made redundant twice and since I wasn’t enjoying it any more I opted for the career change to a jeweller after the most recent redundancy. I’d say to anyone thinking about leaving the day job be realistic about your finances. Assume that you won’t earn anything for a couple of years so have you got enough money saved up to cover rent/ mortgage and other bills for that long? (or a well paid other half with a secure job who will support you) Are you prepared to work long hours for seemingly very little return in the beginning? Do you have the necessary drive to make the business a sucess? You then need to consider if there is demand for what you are proposing in your area - shops are expensive are you going to get the footfall to make it work?
Would your opinion of your current job change if you moved to a different airline or if you opted to do only european routes?
Sasha

3 Likes

I left my job nearly 5 years ago and I never looked back. But yes, all the points that @SashaGarrett made are true. I was lucky that my husband supported me and believed in me and also we don’t have children so it is only the two of us. I didn’t necessarily resign my job to be a full-time artist, I just wanted to be self-employed and work from home. Initially, I wanted to do copywriting/translations but I started to paint after a few years break and I couldn’t stop! Now I do both, I paint and sell my work and I also do some freelance work as a more stable source of income. It was and still is hard work and you have to be very disciplined, but if it is what you want, go for it. I am not sure how a shop would work, but in my case, as a freelancer, I already have a few long term projects that give me some security. And it gives me enough time for creating and looking after my online shops.

2 Likes

Teodora and Sasha have both given sound advise, while many would like to not everyone can work for themselves.
My Hubby has been self employed for many years and would give you the same advice he would give anyone else in regard to going self employed and opening a shop. Firstly a) are you barking mad and b) don’t. If you can answer yes to the first question and to hell with you over the 2nd you probably do quite well. Seriously though build yourself a realistic business plan look at the cost in particular of running a shop look at the competition in the area and even look at the large chain supermarkets and the effect this would have on your business plan. Try to consider rising costs of things like rates, rent etc and look at the misfortunes that could befall you from sickness, to even mechanical breakdown in short air on the pessimistic rather the obvious optimistic. The key is to be realistic are you sufficiently skilled to carry the project off because the one area where many of us can score over the average shop assistant is in product knowledge and being able confidently offer sage advice can be the biggest weapon in your arsenal particularly in the health product wellness market.
Best of luck Hazel

2 Likes

No I typed in my resignation today and am handing it tomorrow morning. I think its to tiring. I have a cousin who wants me to help out in her cafe for a while so that safe guards me a bit.Sorry about your being made redundant.The planet is very tough today.

1 Like

Well there is only me and my other half who is working in the military not to far away so luckily no children yet!

1 Like

So true, my other half has a good faith in me though and is willing to go with the flow. :relieved:

we don’t have a bonds or home payments :grinning: either.so that is also fotunate.

1 Like

Sounds like you have given it due consideration, you have work and some income lined up, your living expenses are not excessive and your other half has a stable job. 2 additional points to consider what if your OH is posted and what happens if you have children in the future.
Keep us updated on your progress.

1 Like

Good luck! :slight_smile:

1 Like

No I wouldn’t give up my day job as it’s only three days a week, so that leaves me four days to do all the craft stuff I want to. Plus I really like my job and would miss it and the lovely friends I work with. Also, I don’t think I would ever make enough to replace my wages. It’s a secure monthly income for me whatever happens.

3 Likes

He was posted last year in America Im not sure may have to think about it a bit more. Hmmm. :relieved:

I did :slight_smile: Over 2 years ago, when my maternity finished - costs of childcare was ridiculous, so I stay at home with my little boy :slight_smile: Soon will need to look for a job if nothing change with my sales…

1 Like

I really couldn’t, it’s just the two of us but my wage pays for everything. It’s the fella who has been able to follow his dream. My steady wage means he can be freelance, working in theatres doing lights/sound. He’s working up in Edinburgh at the moment for the fringe festival. Given I pay the bills, when he’s making money he likes to spoil me by buying me pretty things, so it’s not all bad :smile:

1 Like

I work in business travel and the travel industry is most definitely not the fun place to be that it was 10 years ago !!! I verbally resigned last year but luckily I was talked out of it. I’m on my own so have no-one else to help pay the bills and the jobs where I live are really badly paid unless you are a teacher or in computers or accountancy… so without my job I would have been up the creek without a paddle as they say !!!

1 Like

Well I have left now so I am happy no work tomorrow so going to take a holiday then get started.

1 Like

Ive left I handed in my resignation the boss told me not to bother coming in to work tomorrow. :grinning:

2 Likes

Well my guy also spoils me which is nice and I left my job so I am happy. :yum:

Hi Faye,

I have left many jobs before.
Deciding to work for yourself could be a great idea. Just make sure you do your research. :slight_smile:

1 Like