Has anyone ever made you feel like

…What you’re doing isn’t a proper business, or that you spend all day on your “hobby”.

Yes, its great being able to do something I love, but its such hard work to get my first sale.

We’re not just crafting, but its all the other stuff like promotion too.

6 Likes

Yes, the other half for a while. In a jokey way, he saying he was ‘carrying’ me at the start of all this. Which, in fairness, he did have to for a bit because it takes time to get a business established online. He can see how many hours I put in though, not just on the making, but the designing, problem solving, packaging, paperwork, all the online stuff, promoting, supply ordering, answering customer questions, listing items, photographing and editing the photos, website maintenance, I could go on if I thought about it more… so he knows I’m making the effort to make this a proper business, so I don’t get the ‘hobby’ word :wink:

3 Likes

Yes, all the time but not my family they’re very supportive. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes, Mr BBLB is like that. At first I used to get really annoyed with him over it, but now I can accept he had a point as I didn’t have a business plan, did not evolve my business (by selling at events, networking in person), and that’s because I do what I do for enjoyment AND to sell it too. I’m not a natural salesperson, I find that bit really hard, and so my business just wasn’t really going to get off the ground if I didn’t put myself out there. I had to accept my own limitations. That may change in the future, but it’s where I am right now.

2 Likes

Yes, myself!

I constantly keep justifying what I am spending my time doing - eg, on the laptop for hours photo editing/ promoting etc. telling people how long it takes to glaze 100 buttons!
No-one ever questions me and in fact my OH is constantly praising me up for how hard I work but I need to justify it to myself!

6 Likes

No, I have a really supportive family. Hubby does joke at times when I say I’m working (sat in front of the TV knitting or on my tablet) but I remind him that despite having several chronic illnesses, I’m both employed and self employed whilst he does just one job :joy::joy:

4 Likes

Yes I received an occasional comment in the past although not for a couple of years now…I use say while you’re watching the TV on an evening I’m still working and that I would love to work 9 till 5 like they do but when you run your own business there is no such thing as a day off !

People don’t realise how much work there is in running your own small business that doesn’t involve ‘‘making’’…
Drawing/Designing and redesigning, Costings, Cash books/accounts, Advertising, Promoting, Buying and Selling, time spent with customers takes a lot of my time as 90% of my items sell locally and customers like to collect there is no such thing as a quick pick up, many are regular customers and the average pick up will be around an hour but often longer…we chat!!

Love this thread. It’s nice to know other people get frustrated explaining/justifying their work too.

1 Like

Like Dottery Pottery, I often feel guilty because I spend so much time designing and making, adjusting photographs and promoting, sourcing supplies and doing my accounts. I spend all day sewing and then do the handsewing, knitting and embroidery while I’m watching TV. If we go on a journey, even a short one, I knit in the car. My other half seems to do most of the cooking, cleaning and gardening and I do feel like I’m enjoying myself while he’s working. People just don’t realise all of the effort that goes into running a small business.

1 Like

Martine That reads like a description of my household too
:slight_smile:

(PS I have Promised to dust today so dust I must !)

1 Like

We went on holiday and I knitted hats for bears whilst travelling in the car Maisey Muffin
My husband also does most of the housework, shopping etc, Unfortunately I had to give up my office job due to disability so I started Bearlescent full time, I sit on a bed in my sewing room and work, at first I felt guilty but now I think the alternative would be to sit around all day watching TV so it keeps me sane and helps bring in a small amount of money. It is full time though isn’t it, no such thing as time off as when we’re not making we are doing all the other bits that go with running a business…I certainly had more free time when I went out to work…and a lot more money!

Ha ha Joy - yes I did do the whole house from top to bottom the other day - have to do my bit sometimes and I’m a bit OCD with tidiness, so I do sort of do things as I’m going along - the other half still does far more housework than me though :blush:

1 Like

I’m like you are Debbie - I never stop knitting and sewing - even when I go to bed, I’m planning out new designs in my head. :blush:

1 Like

Joy, Don’t worry about the dust, Quentin Crips (of Naked Civil Servant fame) said that it doesn’t get any thicker after three years.

2 Likes

Phew that’s a relief. Got round the dining room and up the stairs (not actually upstairs !) but far too many distractions meant a choice between dusting the 2.95 year dust away from the living room or making a suncatcher. Suncatcher wins every time. There’s always tomorrow !

1 Like

I dust. He hoovers. No idea why but I think he thinks I don’t know how to hoover !

1 Like