Help needed please with baby sizes

I’ve made a baby’s outfit to enter into a local craft competition and would like to make some little fabric shoes to match. I’ve worked out a pattern and made a mock up, but have no idea how big they should be!

The dress I have made is for 6 - 12 months, can anyone advise on the length and width of a baby’s foot at this age please?

I haven’t got to be absolutely exact, but just want them to look in proportion to the rest of the outfit!

Many thanks

I had a similar dilemma when I was looking to make some baby felt slippers. I searched the internet to no avail and in the end I decided it would be easiest to buy a few pairs in various sizes from a charity shop/boot sale and base my sizing on them - never got around to it though as other projects took over. It might be worth calling in at a good shoe shop (maybe Clarks) and ask if they have any sort of chart. Sorry I can’t be more help - if you manage to find any info and feel like sharing it I would love to know :slight_smile:

1 Like

My neighbour has a 5 month old - I can nip round with a tape measure if need be.
Sasha

LOL! That’s exactly what I did @OrchardFelts! I’ve been making dresses and shoes for my niece-to-be and haven’t got a clue how big to make them! So I found a couple of items in a charity shop and have been using them as a size guide… :smile:

1 Like

Good morning. Thanks for your replies. That’s a good idea to have a look in charity shops, also that made me think that I might even be able to get a pair of soft pram shoes and unpick to use as a pattern. The trial run I’ve done is for a pair with bows, but they were so fiddly that I’d like to try elasticated ones as well to compare.

I’ll see what I can find today and report back. Thank you Sasha, for the offer to measure your neighbour’s little one, I’ll get back to you if I can’t find an answer today!

Well, I went into three charity shops yesterday and couldn’t find any shoes like the sort I would like to make, but did make a note of the length of several different pair! Also, I found this website which has loads of info about sizes of all sorts of things http://www.bevscountrycottage.com/size-chart.html So I have decided to make my shoes 13cm long, the prototype I made was only 10cm long, no wonder it looked so titchy ! Being a little bit bigger should make them less fiddly too.