How do you get pro looking pics?

Hi can any one share any tips on how to get the best out of our shop pics?

Hi Natalie

I wouldn’t like to say I’ve reached the Pro status with my photos, but I feel a lot better about them than when I first started out.
I find these lovely bright days are a big help. Winter is always tricky.
My bedroom has the best lighting, and I have blinds which I can adjust to suit too.
I take my piece of jewellery and find these best coloured background to set it off. I find a white blank background works for a lot of my pics.
I sometimes use a prop too.
I take lots of pictures from all angles, snapping away… I always find a few gems amongst the terrible ones.
Lastly I clean and polish the pictures up abit with a photo editor. Sometimes a smidge more brightness or a tweak with sharpness can make all the difference.

Have fun taking your pics :grinning:

Karen :camera:

1 Like

Lighting, lighting, lighting!

The best money I think I ever spent for my business was £50 for a set of two studio lights (softboxes, stands and bulbs). They let me take photo’s whenever and wherever I want, even at night, and they make it SO much easier (and faster) to get my photo’s done.

1 Like

Despite my husband being a keen photographer and having all the ‘gear’ including a lens that I can hardly lift(!) I am not a photographer by any stretch of the imagination!!
I use my ipad as it means I can just put my pics straight onto my listings. Its not the best but I take plenty and then pick the best of a bad bunch :wink:
Definitely need good light though, that much I have learnt!!

1 Like

Hi!

I have to photograph my needlework which is really hard but only use a camera phone (Samsung S3). I come from a retail background which has really helped me in terms of good merchandising. My main tips would be

1. Staging …use props - flowers, colour co-ordinating things or subject relevant things.
  2. Think about interesting angles and good close ups.
  3. Good Light!! Try and get an angle which doesn’t throw too much shadow. I stand on a footstool over my pieces and photograph on top of them a lot! natural light is always the best - a flash is too yellow.

I hope this helps! Good Luck!

1 Like

Hi
Thanks Karen, I havent yet tryed a photo editor; but I have just ordered one from serif; so fingers crossed that I can work out how to use it, Im not the best when it comes to tech things although I am always willing to give things a go.
wish me luck; I will keep you posted Natalie :smile:

Excellent, yes I also have just brought myself a small light box, thats ok for jewellery but I think I will have to get a bigger one for my handbags and art dolls.
thanks Natalie :smiley:

Hi
yes that helps alot as it goes, great I will give the angle / shadow thing a try
many thanks :smiley:

Hi all
It took me a while to get my photos to an acceptable standard but here’s what I learned along the way:
Plenty of natural light but not glaring sunlight as it casts too many shadows. I use my conservatory to get natural light.
Your item should fill the frame.
Use a good plain background. I also use a cheap light box I got from Amazon, about £13. I photograph my jewellery on some display forms and also close up to show the best features.
I have a 10mp camera on a tripod to avoid shaky pics, on a macro setting (look in your camera manual for how to set this).
I use the freebie Microsoft photo editor to brighten and colour adjust my photos. Then I crop them to the exact size I want.
Hope all this helps!
Carol

1 Like

You can find lots of tips and advice on our blog Natalie. I hope there is something there that helps.
http://blog.folksy.com/category/seller-tips/handmade-photography-tips

1 Like

Hi
A big thanks to you all
Great tips and advice; I will give them all a try…excellent… thanks again for the help :smiley: