How many Christmas cards do you send?

I’m good at making them but hate writing them, I try to convince Hubby that as I spend ages doing the ‘hard bit’ (yes ok I really mean the fun bit :smile:) he should write them, it never works he comes back with ‘you’ve got nicer handwriting’ (which is sadly true) We send about 40 about a dozen of which need posting so really I should be writing them instead of being on here :wink:

1 Like

None. I think that they are wasteful.

1 Like

As few as possible! In these days of electronic greetings I think cards are becoming less necessary. They get recycled in a couple of weeks anyway, unless they are handmade which I obviously keep.

It’s a chore I keep putting off. One year I put it off so long Christmas came and went and I still hadn’t sent any! :smile:

1 Like

Me too - well a combined one to my Mum & Dad

You have all made me feel so much better :slight_smile:

I’m getting a bit worried by the comments that cards are clutter or a waste :open_mouth: is this why my sales are down? do people no longer want cards :pensive:

2 Likes

I only send a few, but my OH makes up for it by sending cards to everyone he knows. So we get quite a lot. We get one from a couple we haven’t seen for decades, who always include a news letter about their fabulous holidays and wondrous daughter. “While holidaying in the Seychelles, Helen got news of a promotion in the investment bank…” :slight_smile: My OH refuses to read them and I only read the first line before ripping it up in disgust!

1 Like

Christine -You need to write one back manipulating the truth as much as possible :wink:

@HandmadeByDiane- I wouldn’t worry, I don’t think cards in general will ever go out of fashion, I think people send less Christmas cards but they still like special ones like yours :smiley:

2 Likes

Gosh… I think I only give out 6 or so! I used to be the one in the class room that gave one to everyone, but I found it all a bit monotonous so I only give our a special few now. I find myself writing the same in everyone’s cards otherwise- so I feel like I don’t really mean ‘have a nice Christmas’ even though i do!

1 Like

The OH started writing ‘Happy Birthday’ in one so it is looking more likely for either getting a stamp or them pre printed with ‘Merry Christmas’!
Only 15 left to do…

2 Likes

I wouldn’t worry - lots of people still love sending and receiving cards :slight_smile: I don’t think they will ever go out of fashion.

I can understand why people who feel obliged to write cards find it a chore. My cards go to people who I genuinely care about, so I enjoy it. I also love receiving cards - I don’t get many, having no extended family and being a bit of a real life hermit, so those I do get I really appreciate.

I had one today from the mum of a woman I used to know through a drama group - I always got on really well with her mum, and she always supported the shows I produced, and even now we still exchange cards, which I love :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I post about 3, to palls that live away from the area. And about 6 local(I dont have many friends do I)Which reminds me I need to get writing them this weekend,

1 Like

I think Christmas cards are dying out, I usually send out about 40 cards and because of the high postage prices I tend to post most of the local one’s by hand if I can. A lot of my friends are now not bothering sending cards but instead are giving to a worthy charity , which I think makes more sense !

2 Likes

I bought some postage online which was a bit of a faff, but handy on Sunday evening when the shops are closed.

I start making my personal cards in October and send around 80, normally at least half of them are hand printed Lino prints. For those people I know love them and collect them. It’s become a tradition, and they are disappointed if I don’t do it. Hand writing each message is a bit of a chore, but I love receiving cards, and I love sending them even more. I know the work I put in is mostly appreciated and people consider them as a present. Some have even framed them all over the years.
Long may it continue. :slight_smile: x

4 Likes

Yes I can understand that Gloria.

Although this is not the same it’s an example of how precious a personal card can be. A friend died a few years back and she loved to paint watercolours, every year her husband uses one for a Christmas Card, I look forward to that card each year and I wouldn’t care if I didn’t get any others as long as I got that one, I feel it’s a link to her.

8 Likes

That’s so lovely Sarah. x

Handmade cards are like gifts…perhaps that’s the way to go - it puts more meaning into them and makes them special. Next year…

Only people don’t want to spend money on special cards anymore…no sales this Christmas
I send 40 odd by post and hand deliver another 30 in the village, but my family get my hand sew cards…

1 Like