Hypnotherapy

It’s time I lost some weight, so I’m having my initial consultation with a hypnotherapist on Tuesday. I just wondered if anyone had any experiences of hypnotherapy - good or bad?

Liz
x

Liz I look forward to seeing what people say.

My husband had some success with it years ago for giving up smoking ,only thing was he did it on the quiet while I was abroad, and I came back with loads of duty free baccy for him, so scuppered his resolve.

I have thought about trying it for my driving phobia , the only reason I haven’t is the nearest therapist is an hours drive away…

Good luck Tuesday I hope it works for you.

I have had hypnotherapy in the past for anxiety. I had 5 sessions in all. Immediately after the session I felt fab, but within days it wore off and so didn’t help me long term. (I’m now in long term psychotherapy, which is helping enormously.)

I think it very much depends on the individual, their history etc, and I would always say to anyone it is worth a go.

Good luck Liz!

I suffered with hyperemesis gravidarum during both my pregnancies (so bad I was hospitalised and was on medication)… I saw a clinical hypnotherapist about it and the relief I got from it was absolutely fantastic. She also taught me to self hypnotise and I can still do this which is helpful for a number of issues. I thoroughly recommend if you can find a good practitioner. x

I’ve not had hypnotherapy - but it’s great you are going to find out if it works for you - hope it does the job ,good luck !

Liz I have a tendency towards anxiety and worrying - im not seeing a psychologist , but im attending a sleep workshop for my insomnia , im hoping it’s going to help feel a bit more in control , glad the therapy is working for you x

Suzanne :o)

1 Like

I’m in the process of loosing weight (-1 stone so far) and the problem is you’ve got to WANT to do it and that means committing to changing your attitude towards food and exercising more, pure and simple. If Hypnotherapy makes you want to do this, then that is fantastic! Good Luck on the new slimmer you! Mx

Maggie, well done on your loss so far. If I use the doctors calculations the I need to lose around 6 stone, but I’m only aiming for 2 at the moment. The initial part of the therapy will be cognitive work, so we’ll be looking into the reasons why I overeat - I’m hoping it will work for me. I’ll be leaving in an hour, so am feeling a little excited/nervous. Wish me luck.

Liz
x

How did you get on @lizdyson? Do you think it’s going to be helpful? In my (limited) experience you need to really want to lose the weight, so the gratification of getting on the scales and seeing the weight loss is greater than that of eating all those things that are putting the weight on! Good luck

Hi, Margaret. We didn’t do much about losing weight - just a few phrases thrown in at the end. And one thing’s for sure, hypnotherapy will not make me lose weight, only I can do that (but I knew this anyway).

We did something about wandering from memory to memory (can’t remember what the official title is). After one session it’s not apparent what the outcome will be but we are going to work through all the shitty upbringing that I suffered at the hands of my psychopathic mother.

How do I feel, today? Well, I can’t remember what she said to me at the end of the session before I opened my eyes (just know it was something about losing weight) but I don’t have the urge to consume that I had yesterday. Growing up, food was withheld as a punishment which is probably the root of the feeling now that I DESERVE the food I’m about to eat, (if it’s a bad day, I deserve that big piece of cake, if it’s a good day, then I definitely deserve it even more!) but today, I feel that I DESERVE to have a body a little lighter than I’ve currently got - so a slight shift in perception, but one that will, hopefully, help me shift a bit of weight. The doctors will say that I need to shift 6 stone, but I’m only focusing on 2 for the moment.

I don’t know if this will help me regain my will power, but at £50 an hour, I have to give it my best shot.

Watch this space.

Liz
x

1 Like

It’s progress Liz, and you’ll feel brilliant when you do start to shift the weight. I didn’t know you’d suffered like that as a child and are still suffering too by the sound of things. It’s a good idea to start off with modest goals. Losing two stone would make you feel so proud of yourself and you’d feel so much fitter too. It doesn’t mean you can’t eat chocolate and cake any more, just have a much smaller portion so you can satisfy suger cravings but still feel proud of yourself that you didn’t demolish the lot! :smile: