I have just joined Pinterest,

HI again!

I have just joined Pinterest but not really sure what I am doing!
I think I managed to create a couple of boards and shared one of my cards using the folksy button. But not really sure where to go from here!

Should I look at some pages from here and then share something to my Pinterest board?
Do I need to get permission first or just share.

My user name on Pinterest is Fat Squirrel Photography (Roxanne)
I put my name on too just in caae

Any advice would be appreciated or if people want to add me that would be good. Hopefully I will learn as I go along.

Thanks again for your help and I am sorry that I keep on asking so many questions on this forum.

x

1 Like

Sorry this will read like a collection of disjointed sentences as I try and answer all your quetions.
You havenā€™t (yet) added the link to your pinterest account to your shop (bottom of shop appearance on the dash board, you can also add facebook etc) worth doing so you can gain followers.
There is a promotional thread on the forums where you pin something from the person above youā€™s shop which you might want to join in with. Or you can just share peopleā€™s work from their shop to your boards - you donā€™t have to ask permission (I donā€™t) as it should correctly credit them as it being from their shop but some artists prefer to be asked first.
I like to make up mixed boards around a theme (recently I did ā€˜lapis blueā€™ and ā€˜greeneryā€™ as they are pantoneā€™s colours of the year) rather than boards of just my work - I think it makes it more interesting for people and they are more likely to stumble across them. Eg my ā€˜lapis blueā€™ board had jewellery, clothing and home furnishings that are all lapis blue and so if someone is looking for blue cushions they will find them on my board along with a blue throw and some blue artwork that would look good with the cushions.
I need to go now but will continue laterā€¦

Hi Sasha
Thank you for taking the time to reply. How do I add a link to my pinterest on Folksy? Do I have to go to pinterest and put my folksy page in as my website? Or do I do something from Folksy?
I think my shop name on their is the same as my shop name here but I also have a user name which shows up in my settings on pinterest but not sure what that meansā€¦
Sorry for all the questions. Iā€™ve realized how out of date I am with social media

My student didnā€™t show so Iā€™ve got a bit of time now but will have to run away again.
This is best done with 3 tabs open, 1 with your shop front, 1 with your dashboard and 1 logged into pinterest. To link from Folksy to pinterest - go to your dashboard and on the left hand side you will see ā€˜shop appearanceā€™ click on this and the scroll down to the bottom where there will be a series of boxes where you can put the web addresses for all your social medias. Delete everything in the appropriate box and then copy and paste the url from your main pinterest page (the one where they can see all the boards you have) rather than a specific board. Remember to hit the save button. Now when people scroll to the bottom of your shop front they will see links to your social media.
To link from pinterest to folksy - if you go to your pinterest profile once youā€™ve logged in and click on the edit button you can add the web address for your shop (I havenā€™t bothered with the confirm bit), again copy and paste and remember to hit save. You should now have a clickable link under your user name on your main pinterest page which will take people to your folksy shop.
Donā€™t worry about the user name bit - I couldnā€™t have the user name I wanted so my user name doesnā€™t match the name at the top of the boards which does match my shop name.
Right Iā€™m running away again - its one of those days - I will get back to my original point eventually.

1 Like

Hi Sasha.
Iā€™ve managed to add links to both pages! Thank you!
now I need to start following people and adding pinsā€¦ can we only add pins if there is a share button or pinterest button or do we just cut and paste url adresses from anything we like on the web? I have managed to follow you and have added one of your lovely necklaces to a board that I have created.
x

Hi, Roxanne! Iā€™ve just pinned your pug card to my Folksy Puppy Love board. I would say, have fun with your boards! I do have boards with my work and I post other Folksy items but I also have boards of things that interest me, like antique automata and vintage tin toys. My most pinned pictures are animals from ā€œBriaā€™s Little Babasā€, which is a board I let my Granddaughter supervise! But things that are posted on Pinterest can turn up in Google searches (which is nice) :slight_smile:

1 Like

You can add a Pinterest button to your web browser, then if you see something on a website you are browsing, you can pin it directly. Help to do this is here:
https://help.pinterest.com/en/articles/add-pinterest-browser-button#Web
If you arenā€™t sure about any other aspects of Pinterest, you can click on the ? in the bottom right hand side of the page. It shows up on your home page and individual boards and takes you to the Pinterest help centre.

You can also save other peopleā€™s pinned images/videos/pages. Be aware that pinning can get very addictive. You start looking at pictures of cute animals and next thing you know 2 or 3 hours have passed (or maybe thatā€™s just me) :wink:

3 Likes

Aww Thank you Christine! I am mad about animals too so my boards are probably going to be mainly animal related at least initially. I will go to your pinterest page and follow you and will also add one of your items to my page.

x

1 Like

Thank you Alison! yes I am sure once I get the hang of it Iā€™ll be addicted too! Iā€™ll follow you and pin something of yours to my page. Just making up some boards now.

Iā€™m pleased to report that your links work (I know youā€™ve probably checked already but its always worth double checking).
Iā€™ve found that using pinterest buttons work better than cutting and pasting urls (and weā€™ve already seen Iā€™m a fan of cut/ paste for urls so that is going some to put me off) and I like to pin items for sale or handmade items from the original source (eg folksy) rather than repinning them as that way I feel the artist/ crafter is getting the recognition for their work and it all links back to them.
Iā€™m sure there was more but its gone (for now?), remember to have fun but be warned it can become rather addictive and you can loose hours doing it.

1 Like

Thanks Sasha! Yes quite a few people have said it becomes addictive! Thanks for checking my link! would you know if someone pins something you have done?

Thanks again!

If they have done it on one of the promo threads here then they might tell you but otherwise no you donā€™t necessarily know if something has been pinned, you might get a spike in views on that item if the pinnerā€™s followers click through but you donā€™t get notified. Pinterest does tell if someone saves/ repins something you have pinned.

1 Like

Have just used your Pinterest link and Iā€™m now following you.

1 Like

Hi Helen

Thank you! Iā€™m following you now too.

1 Like

Thank you ,this forum has been so helpful. I have managed to copy and paste my Pinterest link to my folksy shop !!! I am new to folksy but have loved Pinterest for some time . I have started pinning boards from folksy. Thanks again . X

1 Like

Hi Roxanne I have pinned one of your cards to my Valentineā€™s Day boards . Love them !!! X

1 Like

Aww thanks Suzanne. I will do the same for you. Have just pinned a couple of your items to my Beautiful Creations board.x

1 Like

Thank you Roxanne , I have always pinned from Pinterest feed . Now I will pin from folksy direct ( I use the app ) massive thanks to Sasha , such great advice . Happy pinning:) xx

2 Likes

Iā€™ve just reached my first 100 pins! Itā€™s fun!

2 Likes

Thanks for all the advice, Sasha, Iā€™ll be looking closer at all this later!