Indoor slugs YUK!

I’ve recently moved to a new house. It’s a nice house, but unfortunately we have indoor slugs - how gross is that!?!?!?

I came down in the night a couple of nights ago to go slug hunting and managed to bag 8 of the little blighters but we are still getting slug trails in the living room - does anyone have any ideas? I put a bowl of Stella down last night, but haven’t caught anything thus far.

Liz
x

We’ve had this problem as our house is quite old. Apart from slug pellets I don’t know what else you could do. We put pellets down last thing at night and get rid of them and the dead slugs first thing in the morning. We do it every so often and it seems to solve the problem

Good luck!

We’ve had this problem in our kitchen/dining room (although touch wood I’ve not seen any evidence of them for a few weeks) if you’ve got hard flooring have you tried sprinkling salt around where the trails are, I know it’s not as nice a way to go as beer but it seems to have worked for us (touch wood again) other than that all I can think of is slug pellets but if you’ve got pets/children I would be wary. Hope you get rid of them soon :slight_smile:

We also had that problem when we moved in here, so we got some copper tape and stuck it across the doorways and window ledges and have had no slugs since :slight_smile:
Donna x

2 Likes

When we moved in here, last September, we soon discovered the same problem in our kitchen. Totally gross!
We searched high and low for their entry points, put salt barriers down - every night - to control where they could get to.
We also checked around the outside of the kitchen and Gary gunked up with silicone around all the pipework this summer. And, crossing every digit, we haven’t seen any signs since. Hope it stays that way. Shame hedgehogs can’t be house pets!

1 Like

Like Donna we also copper taped too.

1 Like

Yuk!! I hate slugs! Luckily we don’t get them indoors but we constantly have to step over them as we walk down the path…

Might have to try copper tape if we get them coming back, a lot less messy than salt everywhere :slight_smile:

1 Like

When I was little our house had them in the hall in front of the front door. The only loo in the house was downstairs and I have vivid memories of going down stairs in the night to the loo and stepping on them in bare feet! Makes my skin crawl as I type!! Lol!

oh my Maggie not nice. I’ve walked down my driveway in the dark and squish yuk yuk but the though of doing that in bare feet make me go all funny.

Invest in some slug pellets and have a good look at night to with a touch to see how they are getting in then get out the builders foam.

My sister-in-law had slime trails across the kitchen door mat each morning, she sprayed the mat with fly spray and it worked.

Thanks for all the advice, ladies. I tried copper tape once in the garden, but the little devils just slimed their way right over it and ate my plants anyway.

The fly spray is a good possibility, but where do I spray it? I have trails all over the living room carpet, so not sure where to start.

What about the slug pellets? I never thought of that (dimbo!). Where do you put them and do they make an awful mess when they die? I don’t want a horrid pile of goo on my living room carpet. I might try putting some on a tea towel tonight and see what happens.

Wish me luck.

Liz
x

Liz you can get the slug pellets from a garden centre.

The slugs dry up so you can then brush them up. The slugs dehydrate the slugs

Don’t let animals near them. Just sprinkle them onto your carpet before you retire for the night.

Then in the morning be ready with your dustpan and brush.

You might want to use a little warm water and washing up liquid to wipe any slug trails off your carpet.

1 Like

Thanks, Eileen. That sounds simple.

Liz
x

Yuk what a horrible thing! It was bad enough knocking off a thick yellow ugly from my tomato plant earlier in the week - but indoors! :open_mouth: And, Maggie, treading on one! Double :open_mouth:

Fingers crossed for you

1 Like

Horrible, things, the outside ones are eating my tomatoes, what’s left. I had to use tongs to get them off, I can’t touch them. I don’t like using slug pellets. I’ve managed to get rid of the caterpillars, who love my sweet tomatoes, One had burrowed right inside the tomato. Marg. x