Is it best to have more of 1 type of item?

I tend to make what I like, it may be a one off and never to be made again, but I wondered if that’s a good or bad thing.
Obviously things not being mass produced is a bonus for us crafters but do customers like to look through a few of the same type of thing then choose one they like, eg should I have 5 handmade pendant necklaces (with different themes) in my shop or is it ok to just have 1 handmade pendant necklace in with all my other necklaces?

Hi @PoisonedAppleJewellery its really up to personal choice, there are a few things to consider
are you selling just online or at a craft fair then you may want to offer 2 or 3 variations or colours as the customer would buy immediately, if they were the same but a different colour then one listing will do if different shape, stone, then would offer separately. if you were a plus a/c holder you can add numerous listings at no additional cost without it each option costs. How complicated do you wish to make the purchase for your customer as there are no variations on a listing it requires your customer to write a note or contact you this may put them off as its not then a impulse purchase.
At the end of the day it comes back to what you want to do.
Hazel

Upcycle make those cards into something else framed artwork, gift tags, collage decorations. reduce the price or try selling them in a different market. Compost won’t return your money, put them on the fire and they will at least give you a few minutes of heat.
Hazel

As I make jewellery, I tend to make several variations on a theme to try to get an idea of what sells best. When something fails to sell, I disassemble it and make something else!

1 Like

Where do you get your postcards printed? I can’t sell 1 for 99p and turn a profit, never mind 6 :'D

@PoisonedAppleJewellery I would say have a variety in different colours - when you’ve put all the effort into getting customers into your shop you want to have enough choice for them to stay and buy.

Surely if you take the back off the greetings card you are left with both a postcard and something to turn into logs? Alternatively you can do a quick sketch on the removed back (assuming its not glossy card) and you have another postcard to sell (or call it a mini original and charge twice the price). Cardboard doesn’t make good compost in large quantities.
@PoisonedAppleJewellery I’ve found that having things in a range of sizes and colours beneficial to sales (some people want small pendants, some want large ones, some want necklaces) but as has been said before don’t go mad with the numbers. I found that having multiple colour options within a listing didn’t work well as people forgot to specify which colour they wanted and I had to chase them so I separated out the colour options which as a plus account holder didn’t cost me any extra. Listing them separately also meant that in the colour field I could specify more shades of one colour rather than having to specify multiple colours eg if something is available in pink, blue and orange options if they shared a listing then I could have pink, blue, orange and 2 other options if they were separated out then I could have pink, pastel pink, baby pink, light pink for one listing and blue, baby blue, sky blue etc etc for the other. One person’s baby blue is another’s sky blue so all of this would hopefully get the item seen in more browsing sessions.
Sasha