Men only listings - good or bad?!

I’ve just listed a pack of cards with designs that are suitable for men, in a set so that the buyer can save some money by buying a few. They are suitable for women too, but I am listing them as appealing for men as friends tell me they get a bit stuck for ideas for the boys in their lives.

Does anyone else target their stuff for a particular gender - part of me thinks I shouldn’t because it’s pandering to stereotypical assumptions about what is right for men and what is right for women. I’d like to think my cards are suitable for either gender, but do people search for ‘men/ male’ type goods??

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

People will search for male/female specific things.
I know what you mean though it can be difficult.
I’ve discovered my prints seem to sell to about 60% female 40% men- but I know a fair few of the female purchases have bought them as a gift to a man in their lives. But I think with most of my prints they’re very gender neutral which I never did on purpose, it’s just my style (I’m not particularly girly at all) so it just came natural to me without thinking about it.
I think because of my subject they can appeal to men just as much as women too- but I’ve never marketed in a way.
I’ve never directed any of my promoting to a specific gender. To be honest I’d never thought to. I don’t tend to promote around specific seasons/holidays either so maybe that’s why I never thought about it.

I guess it depends how masculine or feminine what you create is and whether it just automatically seems to fit in with a specific audience, whether it be intended or not.

I often see things like cards advertised to a specific gender. Even in shops it’s often broken into ‘for him’ and ‘for her’ with possibly a generic ‘funny’ section.

Have you found it beneficial to aim at a specific gender? I guess when it comes to cards most buyers will be women either for other women or men.

1 Like

Nice cards :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi there! I’ve never done this before so I don’t know if it would be beneficial. I suppose I was thinking more about the seo side of things, wondering if people search for ‘birthday card for man’ or similar, so by creating a listing like this, could possibly capture some of those searches.

But by setting up a ‘male only’ listing doesn’t feel entirely right as I don’t want to categorise any one design into being appropriate for only one gender. It’s so tricky - do I do what I think is best from a gender ‘equality (for want of a better phrase)’ stance or from what I think may be the right search stance.

Eek - I really don’t know the answer to this hence asking for views. I’ll keep you posted though (and I can always hide the listing if I feel it’s not of any benefit!).

:grinning:

Thanks @TobisiasLilThing! :smile:

Well I did get a few views but suspect that may have been because of the forum post (!) rather than a good SEO match so will check again after about a week! :smile:

I think it’s fine to do this - I sell pinstripe tea cosies that I market as ‘‘Manly tea cosies’’ and I’ve sold a few to men!

Sarah x

1 Like

Most of my card are suitable for both sexes but there are some that would only be suitable for men. I also have some that would only be suitable for women…

Here’s an example…

Jeanie x

1 Like

While I personally hate anything sexist, ageist, or any other ist, it seems that people generally find men hard to find presents for. If they are going to search on “gifts for men” or “father’s day” then we might as well add those tags to our items. Whether you add them only to stereotypical male items is a matter of choice :smile:

1 Like