Never heard of Folksy?

This is what I put on my page at the end of September last year (hence the Christmas mention) but it could easily be adapted.

Do you love handmade gifts?
Do you want to support British crafters?
Do you craft yourself?
Do you want to sell your handcrafted items?

If you answer yes to any of these questions then why not pop over to Folksy. Can you imaging your friends and families faces when you give them a beautifully handcrafted item for Christmas which has been made with love by an independent small business owner based in Britain? From jewellery to homeware, to clothes and much more, you will find it on Folksy.

Or maybe you are a crafter yourself and are looking for an outlet to sell your wonderful makes or crafting supplies? If you are based in Britain, then with competitive fees, friendly forum members and a great team constantly working behind the scenes, Folksy could be the place for you. Why not head on over there now https://folksy.com

#folksy #folksyshop #handmade #britishcraft

3 Likes

I don’t think anyone’s banning us from mentioning Etsy or any of the other retailers on here!

Did anyone do #FolksyFriday last year? Maybe we should do another?

2 Likes

It is frowned upon Francesca…so best to avoid it.

I’ve never heard of it being frowned upon, except in a joking way, and I’m not going to asterisks out the name of a company if it comes up in conversation.

3 Likes

If anyone’s looking for a good campaign that raises awareness of Folksy/handmade craft, I really recommend Just a Card: https://www.justacard.org/ the hashtag #justacard on social media is brilliant for finding new shops and sites, so you can use it it to promote Folksy as well.

3 Likes
1 Like

thanks for showing that Carol @Knittingtopia
Don’t want to offend you Francesca @francescaburke but we don’t want you to get told off…a lot of people have been in trouble for mentioning other sites…just trying to save you any problems x

1 Like

There is a big difference between coming up in conversation and promoting :thinking:

8 Likes

very true Andy @twistedturner I think we were just trying to help save any aggro for other lovely folksy peeps.x
Especially as we have seen people reprimanded in the past.

Fair enough, but the profile of Folksy does need raising both by the sellers and Folksy its self. The people who sell on Folksy are passionate bout there craft, I certainly am, and are keen to get promoted to as wide an audience as possible. This inevitably will bring up the occasional mention of other well known sites in chats between sellers.

2 Likes

that is why people tend to put * and leave out letters. We all KNOW what they mean of course but better safe than sorry. I have been here for nearly 12 years, so I have seen people told off…lol…
We all want the best for our friends on here x

I’m new to Folksy and have just posted this on my FB page.

2 Likes

In the forums I have seen lots of individual sellers promoting Folksy, and them selves.I’ve been racking the grey cells for a joint seller way of pushing the profile, but am struggling with it as yet. Given a bit more time and inspiration :sunglasses:

I’m pretty sure that most, if not all, of my Facebook followers (2.5K+) are already aware of Folksy as it is prominent on my page, my Shop button goes to my shop here and every thing I post on here is then shared on Facebook with a direct link through to my shop here… and I get a lot of traffic here which has rather obviously come as a result of those shares.

Several people have suggested that i use FB, I think its good advice that i will follow but need to figure it out. If i get a mo over the weekend i will get started. Old adage, lots of people saying the same thing, it must be good.
Thanks

Exactly. I would love to see a thread comparing all the craft retail sites and discussing how Folksy can learn from them. Folksy is by far my favourite in terms of community, but its usability isn’t as good as some other places I’ve shopped or sold on, and it just doesn’t have the same profile as other retail sites which don’t always offer such good quality or service (looking at you, Not on the High Street. Which is probably also a site I’m not supposed to mention, ha).

1 Like

Facebook works if your audience is on Facebook. Mine isn’t, so my FB page is appallingly small. I use Instagram and Twitter mostly, it all depends on what works for you. If you can’t get the hang of Facebook, don’t stress out about it!

@Knittingtopia @teabreaks Thanks for your concern! I know the difference between promoting a competitor and discussing one, and trust the admins (hi guys) to know as well.

3 Likes

welcome Steffie…x @steffiesvintagevaluables

1 Like

Andy there is a folksy group on facebook and also a Folksy clubhouse…join in and meet lots of other Folksy peeps

1 Like