New line advice please

As cards don’t seem to be selling very well at the moment I’ve started to diversify into other items, I’ve just listed my first decorative canvas using similar techniques to my card making but would like some advice from fellow folksy members before I list my other non-card items.
I’ve listed it under Homeware-Home Decoration-Everything Else, as it’s not fine art so I would have felt a bit of a fraud listing it under the Art section, I’m also not sure about the price, I’ve made sure I’ve covered my costs and made a (small) profit but not sure if I should have charged more (or less!) is it a price any of you would pay? The postage seems a lot compared to my cards but by the time I’ve put the box in a well padded envelope it will probably be too thick to go as a Large Letter so I’ve charged the small parcel rate (if it turns out to go large letter I would refund the excess postage but I want to be sure I’m not going to be out of pocket at the P.O)

Any comments (good or bad) would be appeciated x

1 Like

Its not to my taste as I’m not a pink and girlie type but £5 doesn’t seem enough to me especially as it comes with the easel and a gift box. I’d think £10-15 would be perfectly reasonable for it. And having had a look through the art - mixed media section it wouldn’t look out of place there. I don’t know if more people browse the art or home decoration sections so you may or may not gain anything from listing it in the art vs the home decor. You might want to put in the tags things to do with girls bedrooms as I can think of a few pink and girlie types who would love it in their bedrooms.
Good luck with it.
Sasha

2 Likes

I agree with Sasha, coming with the easel and gift boxed I think you could (and should) charge more as it would make a lovely gift particularly for a girls bedroom.

1 Like

Thanks Ladies, I must admit I didn’t think to look in the mixed media section. As it’s only a small canvas I didn’t want to ‘over price’ then end up with a disappointed customer who was expecting something bigger (although I have put measurements in the listing) I think I’ll up the price a bit and see how it goes (if it doesn’t sell I can always reduce it when I relist) I’ll also add extra tags :slight_smile:

Hello - the only thing I thought was the postage may seem high compared with the actual item. But I understand and agree you have to get the correct money for it. How about increasing the canvas a further £1 (or similar) and reducing the postage by that amount. You still get the same overall.

If you are concerned about people not realising how big it is could you photograph it with something everyone recognises (to give it ‘scale’). Maybe next to its packaging box and a cluster of wrapped boiled sweets.

I hope you do well with these - it’s always fun to try something new!

1 Like

I think it’s lovely and the price you have at the moment seems about what I would pay for something like that. As for postage, I think the thickness of a large letter is something like 2.5 centimetres max. So if you can keep your boxes slimmer (or wrap and tape card around it) you could bring it down. See if you can get one of those Post Office measuring templates to check if your parcels fit through.

1 Like

Thank you Kay glad it seems to about the right price now, unfortunately the canvas & easel together measure 3cm deep so I can’t reduce the size of the box to fit large letter.

That is extremely cheap. I’ve seen them in shops for around £20-25 for that size.

£20 -£25 seems a bit expensive for a postcard sized canvas (unless of course it’s a piece of original art) I’m not sure I have the confidence to put that price on it.

I wouldn’t pay £25.00 for one. No disrespect to your craft, but I do think some shops try to be too greedy. Mind you , I am tight fisted!

2 Likes

Love the design Diane @HandmadeByDiane. I too think between £10 - £15. x

1 Like