No best seller list

I have just been on the Folksy homepage and have noticed that the best seller list has gone - is this a glitch at my end, or have Folksy done away with it I wonder?

I noticed the same thing but then I used to skip that bit as I’m not a follower and when I shop I shop for an item rather than look at the best seller list.

Then again I’ve never been that interest in ‘What’s trending’ never been a follower of fashion and buying something because it’s all the rage.

2 Likes

I quite agree! I always thought the best seller list was a bit irrelevant for me, I just use the search box, and look for what I’m after - I would hate to be considered trendy (I think even the word ‘trendy’ isn’t trendy any more is it!) :smiley:

I like the new look home page - simpler - less cluttered :slight_smile: xxxx

2 Likes

Agree too! I like what I Like ; I don’t need to be told what other people buy…unless it’s my stuff of course! Lol! Mx

1 Like

I quite like things like the best seller list just out of curiosity really - a bit of a barometer. But I would be worried about my own practice if I was actively seeking best sellers to see if I was ‘on trend’!
Aren’t words funny though - ‘on trend’ and ‘trending’ seem to be acceptable words but ‘trendy’ just ain’t trendy…:slight_smile:

4 Likes

i liked the best seller list for 3 reasons and wish it would be re-instated on the front page.

• like @pennyjanedesigns says, i think it was a useful barometer of what is popular and what’s selling well.
  • it was my “go to” place when i was browsing for gifts for friends - you know, when you have a person in mind but not a specific item.
  • mostly though: it was good exposure for my shop when i was on there, and brought me new customers / sales. this meant there was an incentive for me to list things on folksy rather than sell privately - i felt that paying the commission on custom orders (that could be sold elsewhere) was worth it & fair.
3 Likes

I too was a regular on the list, and agree that for me, it was a definite advantage. But your reason two is the reason that I’m glad it’s gone. Using the best seller list as a ‘go to’ place is something that I’m sure many buyers were guilty of from time to time, when they didn’t have time for a proper mooch round, but what a shame to exclude all the other fabulous sellers on Folksy. For this reason, the best sellers were more likely to stay on the best seller list, sell more stuff, stay on the list… and so it went on. I love that we all now have to give everyone a fair shot - I’ve found some amazing sellers on here - that would never have made it on to that list, and people maybe never would have found them, because they weren’t on their ‘go to’ place. It feels more like a level playing field for us all now, it’s not the best sellers that need the help after all, it’s the thousands of unseen sellers who work their behinds off, and go un-noticed. I do miss the exposure of being on the list, but have to say, it does seem more fair this way xxxx

5 Likes

i know what you’re saying, but i would argue that folksy is already a level playing field - everyone is able list things for sale and we all pay the same fees / commission.

i don’t think preventing (potential)sales from one quarter*, makes it “more fair” for other makers. (*resulting from one kind of browse).

i do buy an awful lot from folksy - and i wasn’t saying i browse exclusively from the best seller list, i always have a good mooch round - but i did enjoy it as my starting point.

Have to say we are missing the best seller list for similar reasons to @fionaT
Yes, there was repetition with successful sellers appearing regularly, but as the full list showed 40 top sellers it did showcase an eclectic mix of what is available on Folksy. The listing itself was rather unobtrusive and at the bottom of the front page, can’t see why it couldn’t be tagged back on.

3 Likes

I totally agree, it is a level playing field, until you add a best seller list. No-one is preventing sales from any quarter, merely not encouraging them. I loved being on the best seller list from time to time and it did make a difference to my sales and views, so for that reason I do miss it, but I just feel that it was unfair to promote people as best sellers - they/we might have sold more than others, but truly we weren’t the ‘best’ sellers, we had just been lucky enough to sell more than some of the others, and largely because we were on that list getting free promotion. Just my humble opinion. They could bring the list back tomorrow and I wouldn’t mind one bit. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I quite liked it too, it was a personal goal for me to try and get or stay on the front page each month.I never noticed it bringing more views or sales though.
Like Fiona said there is now no incentive to direct sales through Folksy per se .

As a seller I found it quite interesting to see what was being bought at different times of year - there were definite trends , and to see that people had confidence in the site to spend out really quite large amounts on some things. It was a good fly on the wall people watching tool.

If you google “folksy bestsellers” it is still there , just invisible - so maybe it will get reinstated somewhere.

2 Likes

Thank you Deborah. @Pebble Pixie just mentioned she was 4th and I was completely confused as I thought the feature had gone while I was on holiday.
I was just a teeny weeny a bit disappointed as my sales since returning from holiday have been really good and I said to my husband that if the list was still there i would be in it.

Yes i am ! :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

http://folksy.com/bestsellers