No more 'Newest Items'?

I see we have ‘newest shops’ on the front page now, but not ‘newest items’. Is this a permanent change, I wonder?

We had newest items yesterday. I wonder if this has something to do with the system outage earlier - it can’t keep up with all the people taking advantage of the 20 free listings this weekend?
Sasha

1 Like

I seem to remember there were system problems last time we had free listings as well… perhaps it always ends up being more popular than Folksy expects it to?

Mmmm, I wonder if it’s a change or if it’s just because the uploads have exceeded what it can take.

Unfortunately the free listings appear to be encouraging a lot of stuff that shouldn’t be on here - I suppose that shouldn’t be a surprise, but I didn’t realise how much there would be!

1 Like

I’ve reported a couple of shops that look like they are selling mass produced stuff, a few more look like they might count as assembled items. If you spot something send a link to support so that they can shut it down.
Sasha

1 Like

No - new items seems to have gone.
The new shop feature is a great way to pick out the shops which don’t comply to the rules… presumably opening now to catch a bit of Xmas trade. just reported one myself.

I found my shop on page 280! It’s quite interesting to see how long other shops have been on here. Some of the new shops look interesting, but some only have one thing in them. I don’t think it would be as attractive to would be customers as the newly listed things- I hope “Newest items” comes back.

5 Likes

Me too. Newest Items is a far more dynamic display as new things are added all day but new shops not.

PS: I’m on page 283 must have got here just before you :slight_smile:

3 Likes

It is also a bit of advertising for our items. I don’t want to see lots and lots of new shops, I like to see individual items and often something will catch my eye that way and I have bought the item. I like to see my item even if only for a minute. Surely it will reduce the amounts of items that will be seen. Also hasn’t the amount of shops increased so much before Christmas - even more competition for us to get seen. Must be about an extra thousand shops so far.

1 Like

That’s a good game Joy… You must have been just a few weeks before me. I’m on page 282! Should we start an 'old hands club…? :wink:

Seriously though. It always lovely to be seen on the front page, but I’m pretty sure it’s more important to be found in search, as most buyers find items that way. So I’m putting my effort into tags and not worrying too much about it.

3 Likes

I like seeing the list of shops - I’ve been browsing through a few pages of it (well, about 30 so far LOL) and seen lots of shops I’d never noticed before, and who I will be visiting to have a look at their stuff :slight_smile:

1 Like

I am very disappointed to see the ‘newest items’ gone. Hopefully it will be coming back. It has been a chance of getting on the front page for those of us who don’t usually get there any other way. I also like to see the varied assortment from other sellers.

3 Likes

I think there are pros and cons of the ‘newest shops’ list. It’s good to draw attention to new shops (I’ve only been here a couple of months myself), but if there are a lot with only a few items (and, to be fair, we all need time to build/list our stock), it’s not a good advert for Folksy generally. I have mixed feelings about the ‘newest items’ aspect too. In theory, it’s a great idea, but it doesn’t work when shops regularly relist in batches - as a buyer, I have given up in the past when seeing too many items from the same shop one after the other.

It’s just a temporary measure. We had to remove ‘recently listed items’ from the front page yesterday as part of the remedy to get Folksy up and running again after system crashed.

It should be back on soon… Doug is working on it.

5 Likes

I have actually been working my way through the newest shops list - initially to see if my shop was still considered to be new, then I noticed how many pages there were! - it’s been a great way to explore shops and I’ve found some gems :smile: However, as Joy mentioned above, it has also highlighted a few that I’m not really sure should be on Folksy. Have reported a couple, still wondering about a few others…

1 Like

@folksycontent That is good news. Thank you Camilla

The ‘Newest item’ feature doesn’t show the relists and only has one item per shop at a time.

1 Like

Oh good and good luck Doug :smile: .