Not 100% happy with item

I have recently made an item which whilst functionally sound and well made has not turned out artistically as I had envisaged so I am not 100% happy with it. The question is should I list it at the normal price and hope that someone likes it and buys it, list it at a reduced price with the risk of it appearing to be sub standard or just accept it as a failure and start again. What do others do in these circumstances?

In instances like this I list the occasional item as a second or a prototype design - specifying what it is about it that has caused me to do so and I charge a bit less. Very occasionally I will take it apart and rework or it goes into the ‘bargain box’ when I do fairs.

If it’s not substandard in terms of quality then certainly don’t make it appear so - you’re not happy with it yourself but somebody else may just love it! Could list it as “This week’s special” or something of the sort, at a lower than normal price, in the hope of moving it on quickly.

Julie

As long as it’s made as well as your other items, I’d list it at full price. I sometimes make new things that when they’re finished I don’t think work as well as I thought they would in my head. As long as it’s made the same as my other things, I will list it at full price though because my taste isnt everyone’s taste. There’s probably someone that will love what you’ve made even if you don’t.

Jo :smile:

1 Like

@Rozcraftz list it as normal, If like you say its well made with no flaws there is no reason not to, if after a time there is no buyer then reduce it. Artistically it will never be 100% in your eyes but it may be in someone elses.

I agree with @NightOwlCreative - if it is as well-made as your usual items and it’s just the ‘artistic’ element that you’re not happy about, list it anyway and see what others think. I often find that the items I’m least happy with artistically sell better than the others!

1 Like

I should add, if I really don’t like the item when it’s finished, and I don’t really want it hanging around in my shops I’ll offer it on Facebook at a reduced price. I tell them that my reason is I don’t like how it’s come out, but there’s nothing wrong with it. Someone usually comes along and snaps it up. Win, win :smile:

So, it’s the degree of dislike of the finished item that dictates where it ends up for me.

Though you might not like the item as it is not how you intended it doesn’t mean someone else will think that. I personally would upload it and sell it for what you would want for it. X

1 Like

In the past I’ve made things but then it’s not to my tastes so I’ve wondered if anyone else would like it enough to buy it.

But a very wise lady told me not everyone likes the same thing as you do take it to your next craft fair and put it up on a box to show it off.

I took that advice and it was the very first thing I sold at that craft fair.

So now I am not so worried about things not always being to my own tastes anymore.

Go for it you’ll never know who will like what.

Thanks all, you’ve given me the confidence just to go ahead and list it. Think I might try it at a craft fair first and then list it if it doesn’t sell. Wont say when or you’ll all be looking out for it!

Roz

1 Like

LOL Roz! You know you have us all agog now to see what it is. :smiley:

4 Likes